Debt paid but sent to collections

patience41nce

I am in of help on this issue. I paid an account out prior to it going to collections. subsequently, the company (sprint/embarq) posted my payment to my cell phone account and not my house phone account. Both accounts are sprint accounts. I caught wind of the issue back in 6/08, and I got the situation resolved. It then re appeared on my credit. Now Embarq is stating that i still owe the balance even though I have the cancelled check in hand and have faxed it to them. They are trying to say that the payment was applied to my cell phone account, which it was before the rep cleared it up. She credited the cell phone account for the same amount so that I owed the monies to my cell bill and the cashed check went toward the old house phone bill. My cell bill is reflecting this transaction but there is no name on who made the note in the system. Thus I am still arguing with these damn people.

I have sent the information to the OC, disputed the account, and it is still there. What else can I do the rid myself of something that is so paid off?

I feel your pain...all phone companies (cell or landline) seem to exist to screw with people more than serve their customers and Sprint seems to be the first among equals in that category.

Unfortunately, the only entity that can actually straighten this out is Sprint.

I'd try one more time to talk to someone with a brain...if that doesn't work, look up the CEO's name and address and send a letter to him explaining the situation or you might try whoever is on their website as they investor relations head honcho.

Be "polite" in your letter as well as direct and to the point...see if you get any action.

If you have a "consumer" oriented news guy in your local market consider getting them involved.

If all else fails, a well worded letter from your attorney sometimes works wonders in lighting a fire under someone's back side.