Same Collection Listed Twice

digicross1

I have been a ghost for the past 10 yrs buying everything w/ cash and not applying for much credit. As a result everything has fallen off my CR except for three items. One of my three remaining CA's has listed the same collection twice.

Both are listed exactly the same way and for the same amount except for different account numbers. I sent a DL to all three CRA's noting the separate account numbers and disputing the amount owed on both collections. I have not recieved a response from any CRA's, since sending my initial DL's 3 weeks ago CMRRR.

Should I wait the full 30 days before initiating a DV with the CA?

Wait total 30 days to see the outcome. Once the CA validates with CRA then send the DV letter for all the 3 duplicate debt. Make sure you send 3 separate letters. I have a feeling these duplicates will be deleted.

Have you looked into the date of last activity with the original creditor to see if these 3 collection should still be on your credit report?

Incognito,

Thanks for the response and appreciate you taking the time to help a newbie with a question. These last three are right on the cusp of 7 yrs.

One is from Adelphia which was bought out by Comcast.

Assined to CA (Credit Protection Associates)

The second is an apartment rental which is set to fall off in 8/2010

Assined to CA (National Credit Systems)

The Third is an old Sprint cell phone account

Assined to CA Cavalry Portfolio Services

How do I get the true dates of last activity from OC? I no longer have any records of these old accounts. I also don't want to extend SOL

Incognito,

Thanks for the response and appreciate you taking the time to help a newbie with a question. These last three are right on the cusp of 7 yrs.

One is from Adelphia which was bought out by Comcast.

Assined to CA (Credit Protection Associates)

The second is an apartment rental which is set to fall off in 8/2010

Assined to CA (National Credit Systems)

The Third is an old Sprint cell phone account

Assined to CA Cavalry Portfolio Services

How do I get the true dates of last activity from OC? I no longer have any records of these old accounts. I also don't want to extend SOL

Well this is what I would do.

DOLA should be the last day you paid these CA but I am not sure. Usually your CRA report will have the fall off dates and if you feel they are not correct then dispute it with CRA saying the debt is too old to be on file and let the CA verify that debt as correct and then send them a DV. DV process does not extend the SOL. Also check the SOL expiration policy by your state as most expire between 3-5 years.