DV help needed!!!

Katieg376

Hello,

I am looking for some advice. I received a letter in Feb from a law firm in my state (which is known on this site). It was in regards to an account they stated I had. I received a call from the CA in 2005, who scared me into making payments, which I did. In 2006, I discovered my identity had been stolen in several instances. I sent the CA a DV letter. They sent a letter back they were researching it and I never heard back. Now in Feb 2009, I receive a letter from the law firm, stating I can pay. I sent them a DV letter, dated 2/26/09. I sent it return receipt and they state they received it on 3/6. They are stating that my time to request verification of debt has expired. They also state that there is no legal requirement to provide me with the exact information that I requested. They are providing me with the current owner of the account (a CA). They say the account was opened on 11/1/95 and the last payment received by the creditor was 8/30/06. They are stating that in my letter I failed to indicate my dispute. They are asking if I dispute ever having the account. And if I dispute the amount owed? They also state they will contact me via mail with further verification or that which is required by law.

Here are some other pieces of info:

State I live in - NJ

Their original letter was dated 2/2/09

Any guidance will be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

Katie

Now in Feb 2009, I receive a letter from the law firm, stating I can pay. I sent them a DV letter, dated 2/26/09. I sent it return receipt and they state they received it on 3/6. They are stating that my time to request verification of debt has expired.

That is probably correct.

They also state that there is no legal requirement to provide me with the exact information that I requested.

That too is correct. The law sets a very low standard for wht they are required to provide in a response to a dispute.

They are providing me with the current owner of the account (a CA). They say the account was opened on 11/1/95 and the last payment received by the creditor was 8/30/06.

Technically, that is more than the law requires. But, it is certainly information that is helpful to you.

They are stating that in my letter I failed to indicate my dispute. They are asking if I dispute ever having the account. And if I dispute the amount owed?

The law does not require you state a basis for your dispute. But, in this case since you have an identity theft issue in your history, my guess is that they are trying to figure out if you are claiming this account as part of an identify theft problem.

They also state they will contact me via mail with further verification or that which is required by law.

Nothing wrong with that.

I've made some specific responses above. It is unclear what guidance you are looking for. If this account is fraud, you need to fill out and send the fraud affidavit to the law firm. Otherwise, it appears that you might be sued.

The fact that you made some payments in 2005 works against you. First, those payments almost surely reset the clock for the statute of limitation. Second, those payments undermine any argument you might make that it was not your debt.

Exactly what is your goal here?