Midland reply to DV letter

Midland.. the bane of my existance, ha!

I sent Midland a DV letter, and today I recieved a reply that I didn't expect to recieve.

It's a letter that states Target as the original creditor, and gives an 'original account number' but then the letter asks me for "a copy of my documentation that I may have that supports my dispute, including cancelled checks, paid letters, police reports, or any other documentation.."

To me this sounds like they don't have the information they need to validate the debt and are hoping I'll fall for the ploy and send incriminating evidence to them, (which I don't have anyways).

I was planning on sending a certified letter stating that I'm disputing this debt and have no such records to provide because they don't exist.

How exactly should I word it, and what do I need to say/what should I avoid saying?

Thanks in advance!

They probably don't have much information. What is the date of last activity on that account? How old it is? Is it being reported to any of the 3 main credit reporting agencies?

They want you to provide them with more information than they have, and at the same time you will be admitting to knowledge of the debt.

10/04 was the first dilequency on the account .. 10/10 SOL will expire.. it has been reported to 2/3 credit agencies, Midland has deleted it from one so far (Im having to get a paper report from Experian because I don't remember my security question answer.. ugh)but as soon as I have the paper report from them I will have disputed on all three major agencies.

I think my letter should say "I have no known information regarding this account to provide you..." ? Does it need to include more?

You can write a letter, Sarah...Just make it short and easy to read; don't have to include any terminology. Just on the lines of what you stated...that's funny how they want you to send information regarding the account. HA!

To me this sounds like they don't have the information they need to validate the debt and are hoping I'll fall for the ploy and send incriminating evidence to them, (which I don't have anyways).

They are responding as if you disputed under FCRA instead of FDCPA.

It was a run of the mill DV letter, stated the account number and that I am formally requesting them to validate this debt. No more, no less.

From that, they deleted it off Equifax, and have listed it as disputed on the other 2 major credit bureaus.. and sent me that letter.

I just sent a letter saying I have no information to give them.. we'll see how it works out!