Bk Representation

iffaj98

I am currently searching for someone to rep me in my BK. I have contacted several lawyers who want anywhere from 1700 - 4000 for a BK7. Is this reasonable or even a fair price?? I also spoke to a firm who has a parlegal do all the paperwork & only retain a Lawyer to show up at the court dates, they only wanted 1200.

Any suggestions or reasons that one would be better then the other?

On a side note.. I have my means test & credit reports ready any notice from anyone saying I owe them. Not one firm cared, They all wanted "review" the information themselves. :?:

To start at the bottom, the new BK laws have put some extra responsiblity on the lawyers regarding accuracy of the data they present. Its normal for them to insist on reviewing it themselves.

Because of the extra hoops they have to jump through, prices in the 1700-2500 range seem about right. The one that has the paralegal do the forms is a maybe...if the lawyer reviews them before filing, it might be okay. I'd suggest before you decide to use them, you go sit in on some of their hearings before the trustee to see if all goes well.

The last two people I know that paid for a straight no asset BK7 paid between $1500 and $2000. There were no issues requiring filing motions.

BTW- in both of these cases, the lawyers did minimal work and overall a very poor job.

It should be noted that there are requirements in 11 U.S.C. 707(B)(4) that may make your attorney liable for inaccuracies in your filing that, when corrected, would lead to means test failure. Surely the attorney will be sure to perform the means test on their own.

Thanks for the info! I think I will go sit in on the 2 firms I am considering... that never dawned on me to simply do that!! I don't have any motions to be filed.. I think its pretty cut in dry. I am a horrible finacianl situation as is.. I don't want to add bing ripped by a BK attorney to the list!