mt2va

I'm confused--did I do this wrong?

Okay I sent out my initial disputes to the CRA early March. My disputes are under investigation with them. I've gotten my 3 green cards back. So I'm waiting for a response from them & suddenly I'm getting tons of mail from OC & CA asking for payment. Some are accounts I disputed & some aren't. But most I have not heard from in months if not years. Have I opened up a can of worms I didn't mean to? I thought I would hear from the CRA. Not all these creditors.

You shown activity and have awaken the hounds.

1) How old are the debts- are the within SOL

2) Are they yours

3) Can you afford to pay or settle

Little accounts like med bills, parking tickets, phone bills etc. you can get PFDs

Lates can sometimes be removed through good will letters.

You have to be careful disputing - sometimes on old accounts the age is more beneficial that the harm-

Charge offs can be updated- tricking the CRA that your chargeoff is recent- (a favorite trick of CRAP!)

1) They vary. I'm not sure about the SOL. I looked them up for Virginia but can't determine which category various debts fall under. Its either 3 or 5 years.

2) Some yes & some unsure. That is mainly why I disputed. On one I think I may know what it is but the OC name changed as well as the CA several times.

3) I can but I'm trying to find out the best way to do this to get them removed from my CR. My mom paid 2 smallish collections for me a few weeks ago before I found this board & we didn't know to ask for PFD.

Okay I sent out my initial disputes to the CRA early March. My disputes are under investigation with them. I've gotten my 3 green cards back. So I'm waiting for a response from them & suddenly I'm getting tons of mail from OC & CA asking for payment. Some are accounts I disputed & some aren't. But most I have not heard from in months if not years. Have I opened up a can of worms I didn't mean to? I thought I would hear from the CRA. Not all these creditors.

That's a downside to cleaning your report. There is activity on your report...so it triggers an alert your creditors. They probably think you are getting ready to make a big purchase...like a house.

If you are getting mail from the CA....send them a DV by CMRRR within 30 days.

Also wait the 30 days to see what action the CRA takes. If they delete something...they will send you a new updated credit report. The paper credit reports are MUCH more detailed (IMO) than the computer ordered ones. They should list all the important dates on there that you need to know.

Also, not a lot you can do about the paid collections. Say you haven't paid them in a few years....then you pay them.....it looks like that trade line is new b/c it updates the trade line. When your mom paid them....it probably triggered the alert to the other bills that you were paying off old collections on your CR.

On my paid collections....I waited a few months then disputed them. They came off but yours could be different.

That's a downside to cleaning your report. There is activity on your report...so it triggers an alert your creditors. They probably think you are getting ready to make a big purchase...like a house.

If you are getting mail from the CA....send them a DV by CMRRR within 30 days.

Also wait the 30 days to see what action the CRA takes. If they delete something...they will send you a new updated credit report. The paper credit reports are MUCH more detailed (IMO) than the computer ordered ones. They should list all the important dates on there that you need to know.

I am so confused. I was following one of the stickies on the forum that talked about disputing with the CRA & some of my old stuff should fall off. And then DV with the ones left. So should I DV any CA stuff that came before I hear back from the CRA? Since the CRA tells me they have 45 days to investigate (I thought it was 30??) I will be past my 30 days to DV if I wait.

Honestly I'm ready to just give up & bury my head in the sand until 2013 when everything should fall off my CR but that's not possible because I desperately need to re-fi my car before then & I will have to be able to get a loan on the house I live in or face being homeless.

Yes, all the information can cause overload.

I don't think you did anything wrong. Everybody's steps are different.

You DV the collection agencies when they send you a dunning letter (which just has on it....hey pay us...this debt is from a collection agency" All those dunning letters basically say that. You are suppose to DV them within 30 days to establish a papertrail. Sometimes a DV will make them go away...sometimes NOT. But you always want to send a DV within 30 days.

You dispute(online, mail, phone) with the Credit reporting agencies (which I take it, is what you did) You wait the 30-45 days until they respond to you with their results. Some people do this step first and see what they delete off or validate. Then they tackle the others after that. Some people do BOTH....look up on the forum "1-2 punch".

It doesn't matter if you don't contact the bill collectors at all......when you start messing around with your credit report....fixing it....or paying a collection off......the bill collectors are alerted that there is action on your credit. That's why you will start getting bills in from places you haven't heard from in a long time.

Don't bury your head in the sand.....trust me, it does get easier. After you soak up everything on this site.....you will be much smarter about credit and how it works. You will be a smarter person when you re-fi your car and house. You won't stand for being ripped off by high interest and all the BS they try to give you.

Good luck and keep at it.

I'm not giving up. I made this mess & I intend to fix it. Luckily, the worst of it is long gone (BK from 1996, several $1,000 credit cards with Cap1, etc)

I guess I didn't read that part before I started. The stickies/info I read talked about sending the dispute to the CRA & waiting for a response which I've been trying to be patient about for the last 2 weeks. Then for anything that wasn't deleted (was hoping maybe a couple old ones would be) sending the DV letter. Seems like people do it both ways or at the same time.

Seems like ignoring all this stuff has been working much better. And I hope they don't start calling again. The letters are bad enough. We changed our phone # about a year ago.

Seems like ignoring all this stuff has been working much better. And I hope they don't start calling again. The letters are bad enough. We changed our phone # about a year ago.

If they start calling, send a cease/desist letter; helps stops the phone calls.