Midland/Brachfeld, are they being sneaky ?

I was sued for what I think was a out of SOL debt. I answered and showed up on the trial date, but the case had been removed from the calendar. Brachfeld's assistant faxed to the master calendar department of the court a message which was titled by the court "Correspondence-faxed letter of settlement". There has been no settlement in the case that I know of - and I think I should know. The actual message doesn't mention settlement, just that the plaintiff attorney sent a dismissal by US Mail on March 4, 2009. It hasn't shown up in the document listing yet.

This may just be a sneaky way to avoid paying my court costs after losing the case, which I think they would have, but I'm a little paranoid about Brachfeld being tricky. Any heads up for me ?

You can view all the case records at the Sacramento superior court website saccourt with the case number 2008-00009340 . I am not permitted to post the link.

The problem is that the plaintiff attorney said they mailed the letter 13 days ago, but it hasn't posted at the court yet. What happens if it never arrives ? Is there a trick here ? Do I need to keep a constant watch that they don't do something that might cause me to default ?

Take the oppurunity to file a Motion for Dismissal with Prejudice. Cite the rule on service of motions and state something to the effect that Plaintiff has failed to properly execute service in this case and it should be dismissed with predudice.