Amex Nationwide Credit Inc.

gk1125

Hi

My mom got herself in the hole with Amex, $20k. She is about 3-4 months past due and the account was sent to Nationwide Credit Inc. I have spoken to NCI on her behalf a few times and agreed to settle the balance for $10,980. Do you think I can shave more $ off or should I just pay this and clear this mess up? Would it be harder to get a deal later since she didnt follow thru with this deal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have 2 Amex accounts with Nationwide. I've gotten them to 40% on the one, and 50% on the other.

If you are set on settling, I would ask them for 35% and you will "borrow the money" and wire today.... They will drop below 50%, but just need permission from Amex to do so.

Let them know you want to pay what you can, but can't afford 50%. Don't let them talk you into entering a stream of payments deal for the full balance. That's how they make more money.

Exactly. You should settle with the amount of money you want to pay. You can probably get lower than 50%, especially if you tell them you can make the payment immediately.

You might want to type of a letter stating the amount you can pay in one single payment, and see what their response is. Remember: they want money and you're willing to pay; you want all things to work out the best for you; not the company so don't let them surround you in a corner.

Good luck to both you and your mom!