credit unions

mt2va

Hi was wondering if anyone knows how strict credit unions are about their eligibility & once they open an account would they close it?

The reason I'm asking is that I've found a CU I want to join & I do meet one of their criteria but the wording of it is a bit odd & I'm sure they probably had not thought of my situation when they came up with this. I'm wondering how likely I am to be denied or have my account closed? I want to mention the CU is in NY & I'm in VA.

My previous CU membership has always been cut & dried as I was able to join due to my employer. But since my previous CU absolutely would not even consider offering me an auto loan in December when I had to buy a car despite having 5 years of on time payments on my previous loan I had just paid off with them I'm not going to waste any more time or money on them.

Why don't you call them and ask them? I had to ask my CU many questions before considering joining them.

I would think that their requirements for credit approval would differ from CU to CU. Mine wanted to make sure I had NO negative information on my CR, lack of bounced checks etc.

As far as them closing a credit account you may have with them, I would think that it would not be too likely as they do not usually have shareholders.

Maybe I didn't explain this correctly. I found a CU to join & I meet their membership criteria as explained on their website (they are in another state). I was just wondering what the chances were that they would close my account (savings account that I plan to eventually use to secure a secured credit card with them) if they didn't feel I met their criteria.

I clearly do meet it but I'm not sure this is what they intended when they wrote it up & my guess would be I would be the only person that came up with this I'm thinking. Honestly I don't want to call ahead because that would give them a chance to "re-think" the requirements & turn me down. I'm only out $5 to join so I'm going to give it a go. It would be another 2 weeks before I would be sending them anymore money so that should give them time to decide if they want me or not. If I had to I could probably produce some kind of paperwork to prove my position but it would be a hassle.

OK, so you were refering to a savings account? In your post you mention, "they probably had not thought of my situation when they came up with this" and in your next post, you say, "my guess would be I would be the only person that came up with this I'm thinking". I guess this is confusing to me. What is "this" that you are refering to and how is their wording of it a bit odd?

One of the ways I could be eligible is that it says if I work for a company that sells insurance in their state I can be a member. Well I'm in VA & they are in NY. The company I work for does sell insurance in NY. It is under a different name but we are all under the same company. The parent company just does business in various states under the original names of companies that it bought/merged with. I clearly fit the criteria but I'm not sure that is what they had in mind. I'm going to give it a go though for my $5.

I decided to go for it & see what happened only when I went to fill out their online application it was only for them to mail me information. :roll:

So in the meantime I've been reading on various forums & heard a lot of good things about Navy FCU. Anyone else have good experiences with them?