Kids, Chores, and Allowances: What do you do?

JustaTexan

The other day my father gave my two little kids a dollar each. My almost two year old son wasn't that impressed but my 4¾ year old got very excited. She then went to school the next day and bought some kind of snack with her dollar. She came home and asked me if she could "borrow" another dollar. :shock::lol:

So I'm thinking it's time to start her on some chores and things like that. I was reading a post that OMG posted and it gave me a few ideas and does anybody else have a chore/allowance type thing with their children? Even at the toddler/preschool age?

My almost 2 year old can take his trash to the trash, put up his clothes, and tries to help with everything else but I don't think he's ready to grasp the concept of money.

What kind of chores do ya'lls kids do and how old are they? How do you reward them or are most chores just part of contributing to the household? I think I'm wanting to establish some required general chores for my 4¾ year old and then give her the option of doing more for an allowance of some sort.

What does everybody else do?

can she reach the sink or the handles of the lawn mower lol! How is she with the washing machine? Just playing! I know nothing about kids lol. I do know i have friends who have twins and i used to scare them by telling them if they broke something of mine it would be alot of lawn mowing at my house to pay for it. When i was 12 or 13 i used to mow this old ladies lawn for 10.00 lol.

Allowances and chores are 2 different things in my house...

Chores are shared activities everyone has, they are part of living, each child was assigned a chore. We had a chore chart, with Mom and Dads name on it too..My 10 year old would vacuum and clear the table before dinner and my youngest one would clear the table and load the dishwasher after dinner...They would rotate weekly...both would be responsible for their own rooms and they could earn extra money...NOT Allowance...by doing extra chores, like cleaning the bathroom sink or taking out the trash...Mommy and daddy chores...and they had to use their money for things they wanted.

Allowances are given when chores are done without hassles..2.00 a week and 1/2 had to be saved, so they both got digital banks saying how much money were in them...

Extra chores usually paid 50 cents each and that was good when they were wanting to buy something special or have extra money for a field trip or something.:rolleyes:

Allowances and chores are 2 different things in my house...

Chores are shared activities everyone has, they are part of living, each child was assigned a chore. We had a chore chart, with Mom and Dads name on it too..My 10 year old would vacuum and clear the table before dinner and my youngest one would clear the table and load the dishwasher after dinner...They would rotate weekly...both would be responsible for their own rooms and they could earn extra money...NOT Allowance...by doing extra chores, like cleaning the bathroom sink or taking out the trash...Mommy and daddy chores...and they had to use their money for things they wanted.

That's kind of the direction I think I'm going to go in as well. Thanks Whocares! At 4 there's not alot of "extra chores" that my little girl can but I'm thinking of maybe things like cleaning the baseboards, sweeping the porch, and maybe some light dusting.

Deanna,

I have 2 kiddos. The second is almost 15 months old, and we have taught her already to put things away that she gets out. (This doesn't *ALWAYS* work, but we try) She puts her toys away and if she pulls all my books and DVDs off the shelf, she puts them back. (Though I have to go back and clean it up again, but at least she's trying.)

She also puts her dirty clothes in the laundry hamper and puts her sippy cup on the floor by the sink when she's done with it.

My first is 6 and he is a terror.

In our house, we don't give allowances. (I grew up as a military brat, and you worked for what you got.)

My son's chores include cleaning his room, folding and putting away his laundry (neatness counts less than the effort), taking out the trash, and putting his sister's clothes away.

When he asks for extra chores, we negotiate a fair price. Usually, things like straightening the bookshelf his sister destroyed gets him $1. Helping with the dishes gets him $3. Babysitting (in this case, his sister is in her jumper and he's making sure nothing goes wrong while I do those necessary personal things like take a shower) earns him $0.50 for every quarter hour.

We also take things a step further in the earning department. My son does advanced grade level stuff for school, and if he gets good grades and has good behavior, he gets to choose rewards. He has asked for a Barnes & Noble gift card if he achieves the grade goals we set on his next report card. It will be $10 for all A's and $5 for over half A's.

We plan to have my daughter start cleaning her room in another 5 months or so. We feel that teaching her the responsibility and make it an ingrained habit will help us further down the road. (My son knows he has to clean his room Saturday morning before he can watch cartoons...He sometimes will clean it on Friday night just so he has nothing in his way Saturday morning, and he doesn't even ask anymore.)

Hope you find a way to work it out.

My daughter just reached 13- she refuses to do any chores and is insisting on a bailout.

Thats awesome. :lol:

My girls are 10 and 11. Almost 11 and 12. They do chores. They do not get an allowance. The reason they do not get an allowance is because we tend to give them alot of things. Not so much spoiled, but when they ask for things in particular alot of the times its granted. Whether its a new pair of jeans, money for the movies, a new Wii game, whatever.

We try to make a point in letting them know WHY they are receiving their "prize" and the requests have not been excessive.

Their newest thing is asking for computer time. I come home everyday and the house is usually pretty clean. Thats because they want to play on their Toon Town or Club Pengiun accounts and they know the way to win Mom over is by having a clean house. 8]

Its working out beautifully. :)

Their newest thing is asking for computer time. I come home everyday and the house is usually pretty clean. Thats because they want to play on their Toon Town or Club Pengiun accounts and they know the way to win Mom over is by having a clean house. 8]

Its working out beautifully. :)

Oh wow I hope mine do that when they are older! I would love to come home to a clean house everyday! :)

Deanna,

I have 2 kiddos. The second is almost 15 months old, and we have taught her already to put things away that she gets out. (This doesn't *ALWAYS* work, but we try) She puts her toys away and if she pulls all my books and DVDs off the shelf, she puts them back. (Though I have to go back and clean it up again, but at least she's trying.)

She also puts her dirty clothes in the laundry hamper and puts her sippy cup on the floor by the sink when she's done with it.

My first is 6 and he is a terror.

In our house, we don't give allowances. (I grew up as a military brat, and you worked for what you got.)

My son's chores include cleaning his room, folding and putting away his laundry (neatness counts less than the effort), taking out the trash, and putting his sister's clothes away.

When he asks for extra chores, we negotiate a fair price. Usually, things like straightening the bookshelf his sister destroyed gets him $1. Helping with the dishes gets him $3. Babysitting (in this case, his sister is in her jumper and he's making sure nothing goes wrong while I do those necessary personal things like take a shower) earns him $0.50 for every quarter hour.

We also take things a step further in the earning department. My son does advanced grade level stuff for school, and if he gets good grades and has good behavior, he gets to choose rewards. He has asked for a Barnes & Noble gift card if he achieves the grade goals we set on his next report card. It will be $10 for all A's and $5 for over half A's.

We plan to have my daughter start cleaning her room in another 5 months or so. We feel that teaching her the responsibility and make it an ingrained habit will help us further down the road. (My son knows he has to clean his room Saturday morning before he can watch cartoons...He sometimes will clean it on Friday night just so he has nothing in his way Saturday morning, and he doesn't even ask anymore.)

Hope you find a way to work it out.

Sounds like you are doing great and that's kind of the routine I want to have as well. Your toddler puts her sippy cup on the ground next to the sink? My bad little 23 month old actually throws his into the sink........:lol: I wish he would just sit it up on the countertop or something but he's one of those wild childs..........:shock:

We don't do an allowance either, but everyone has chores, and they rotate every week to keep it interesting...to whatever extent chores are interesting!!! Like Morrow, ours tend to get stuff quite often, so I don't feel like an allowance has any benefit. We will give them extra money for going the extra mile or doing extra chores.

We also make them save 30% of whatever they earn so they don't repeat some of the things their parents learned.

So I'm thinking it's time to start her on some chores and things like that. I was reading a post that OMG posted and it gave me a few ideas and does anybody else have a chore/allowance type thing with their children? Even at the toddler/preschool age?

Aww... thank you :-)

My girls are like night and day. Savannah obviously understands much, much more than Jordan does. With Savannah, she's like 6 going on 30 so I give her much more responsibility. She unloads the dishwasher (puts everything she can't put away, on the counter), makes her bed, puts her clothes in the hamper, dusts, vacuums and feeds the pets. Those are all age appropriate, I think.

With Jordan, it's pretty much to make sure she puts her clothes in the hamper and puts her movies away when she's done with them. Sadly, anything involving more than one direction and she gets lost and then frustrated so I try to keep things simple for her.

With your little ones, it depends on how much they really understand. For starters, I would have them put their dirty clothes in their hamper before bedtime. The older one obviously knows what it's for so now would be a good idea to teach her about perhaps saving some of her allowance. This will teach her good saving habits that she will carry on into adulthood. Chores for her would be to help you dust the things she can reach in the living room, put her dirty clothes in the hamper and to help make beds. You could also start teaching her how to fold towels, washcloths etc.

For your daughter, I wouldn't give her more than $1.00 a week to start. For your son, personally, I think he's too little and he doesn't yet understand the concept. I would wait until he does.

That's just my two cents :-)

My girls are 16 and 12.They both do chores. They also do the cooking half the time...much, much better than me. haha (hubby trains them on the cooking part)

They get no money from us for inside chores. They live here...they have to help. When they do outside work, we give them money. Usually $10 a week. The 12 year old puts deer corn out for my hubby and picks up sticks after a bad storm, etc.......my 16 year old brings down the garbage and usually washes the cars.

But when they were younger...we did give them $5 a week. We made them save some of it and the rest they could spend. They usually used it for birthday party presents or eating at the icecream shop.

My 12 year old spends money likes its water.....my 16 year old holds on to it forever.

We don't do an allowance either, but everyone has chores, and they rotate every week to keep it interesting...to whatever extent chores are interesting!!! Like Morrow, ours tend to get stuff quite often, so I don't feel like an allowance has any benefit. We will give them extra money for going the extra mile or doing extra chores.

We also make them save 30% of whatever they earn so they don't repeat some of the things their parents learned.

That is about the way I see it too. My kids are ages four and under so they still have a lot to learn about chores too. But I figure as they get older chores will become a part of their routine.