USAA federal savings bank

mt2va

I'm curious if anyone knows if they are BK friendly? I've been a member for almost 20 years but I had to include my $1800 USAA Mastercard & $1000 USAA PLOC in my bankruptcy 13 years ago. I'm not going after credit with them at this time, but would like to possibly re-establish business with them (savings account, maybe re-fi my car, & check into car insurance rates as when I had them before they were super cheap) but I've heard they are super strict.

I think I answered my own question. I called to find out why I couldn't log into my account online (I had gone through user name/password recovery because I couldn't find where I had it written down) & after they verified/updated a ton of info told me it had to do with my “membership status” I’m not sure I even want to delve into that so I hung up. I guess if you ever BK money to them they don’t want you as a member anymore.

I'm curious if anyone knows if they are BK friendly? I've been a member for almost 20 years but I had to include my $1800 USAA Mastercard & $1000 USAA PLOC in my bankruptcy 13 years ago. I'm not going after credit with them at this time, but would like to possibly re-establish business with them (savings account, maybe re-fi my car, & check into car insurance rates as when I had them before they were super cheap) but I've heard they are super strict.

I'm also a 20-year member. My experience is that if you even try to settle, you are done. I'm charged off on a PLOC and they've shut off my access to USAA.com to my life insurance, car, checking account, etc. I would tend to think they are NOT friendly.

There is a link on their site, after you log in to view accounts, that says, "Having trouble paying your USAA credit card bills?"

I clicked it just to see what was there and I don't know if I even looked. I exited out pretty quickly. The thought struck me immediately that they might track activity enough to know who clicks on that (if you think that's paranoid, I started filling out a loan application once and abandoned it before submitting and they contacted me to find out if I wanted to finish the application or something.)

I wouldn't want them taking adverse action or anything just because I was browsing around a site.

That link wouldn't be available to us because we can't log on at all & that's why I called to find out why because I was almost positive I had dealt with them after my bankruptcy. (it may have only been for auto insurance & I think I eventually had to give that up or they wouldnt' renew me but only due to having an extremely high risk driver in the household)

If I had understood more about how all this worked I would have kept their card & worked out payment arrangements. I was young & stupid & figured if I couldn't pay it let it go on the bankruptcy. Of course now many many years later I regret it. Since we let everything else go in the bankruptcy we certainly could have afforded to keep/pay 1 card. It was my first CC ever so then I would have had something showing on my CR that I had for almost 20 years. Instead now my credit report shows my oldest account being my student loans I started re-paying in 2002. So for me being almost 37 it doesn't show much of a credit history which may be why places are leary to give me credit (among other things). Thank goodness my BK has dropped off my report. But back before that I had perfect credit. Tons of credit cards. Always paid them on time (mostly in full). All of that is gone though. Even the ones I closed myself & weren't in my BK. I almost wish the CR could go back further so it would show I was doing good, had a blip in the road with the BK, & am doing better now.

Many of us have made those same kind of mistakes. I screwed up royally with USAA two times in the past and they finally gave me a credit card again, but it was years later. I think the only difference is that I eventually paid them, the two times that I screwed up my card badly. It's just coincidence that I didn't have a card with them at the time I went through BK or I would have written that off, too, and then I'd be in the same boat you are in now.

When I look back on the amount of debt I wrote off in BK, I am a little embarrassed because it was not a lot of debt and I don't know why I didn't find a way to pay those debts. I wrote off cards with balances as low as $300 and I feel kind of stupid now. I owe a lot now but don't plan to go through BK again.

• 9 months later...

I did not file BK, but owe them money from overdrafts and of course they shut me down, but I tried to settle up because all the money I owe is their fees and they don't want to hear anything I had to say unless I have their money. Whatever - it was too bad because I loved them as a bank ...

This is why this site is so useful.

I allegedly defaulted on almost all of my cards. Not my USAA MasterCard. I owe over $10k on it, which is tough, but I don't want to lose my membership. Also, they have been good to me. Unlike other companies, they didn't cancel my card 0r lower my credit limit or raise my rates when my credit rating went south. My rate is still 6.5%. I last used the card a few weeks ago. The worst that happened was that I was a few days late on a payment, for the first time ever. They even waived the late fee when I set up automatic payments for that payment and the next one.

My USAA strategy was based on information I picked up on this site. That is how I found out that they would be good to me as long as I paid, and unforgiving if I defaulted.