Need assistance with Summons and complaint in MI

Hi. I've never posted here before and am doing so now because I'm confused. I received a Summons & Complaint from Palisades Collection Assignee of HSBC Credit Service the other day. (On a Sunday at that!) This is for a credit card that I had in 2003. The limit on the card was $300 and they are suing me for over $1000. I am on Social Security Disability, and that is my only source of income. I know I need to respond to the Summons, but I don't know if I need to go to the court to do so (as it says "respond in writing.")

Secondly, the Summons is dated November 21, 2008. I was served March 2009. Is that unusual? The Affidavit of Claim was signed and notarized on April 3, 2008. Shouldn't the dates on all this paperwork be consistant?

Also, if I respond in writing to the court and send it registered mail, do I CC the attorney representing the collections agency? What do I say in writing? I am of the understanding that Social Security Disability is exempt, and I want to make sure that this is known and they do not attempt to garnish that or my bank account.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

K

Read the stickys at the top of the page make sure to use a graduated denial sworn affidavit also. Search the post for my name and you will find one of those.

Make sure to file your answer with the denial before 21 days are up on the day you where served!

good luck Jimiii

Hi. I've never posted here before and am doing so now because I'm confused. I received a Summons & Complaint from Palisades Collection Assignee of HSBC Credit Service the other day. (On a Sunday at that!) This is for a credit card that I had in 2003. The limit on the card was $300 and they are suing me for over $1000. I am on Social Security Disability, and that is my only source of income. I know I need to respond to the Summons, but I don't know if I need to go to the court to do so (as it says "respond in writing.")

Secondly, the Summons is dated November 21, 2008. I was served March 2009. Is that unusual? The Affidavit of Claim was signed and notarized on April 3, 2008. Shouldn't the dates on all this paperwork be consistant?

Also, if I respond in writing to the court and send it registered mail, do I CC the attorney representing the collections agency? What do I say in writing? I am of the understanding that Social Security Disability is exempt, and I want to make sure that this is known and they do not attempt to garnish that or my bank account.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

K