limited letter of administration ??

Anyone know what a limited letter of administration means?

My late mother died at a nursing home, my estrange brother, who didn't lift a finger to help out when my mother was still alive, and passed penniless, filed a lawsuit against the nursing home, and the attorney he hired is creating an estate account in my late mothers name - in anticipation of an award regarding the lawsuit. Since there are only two sons in the family, I was served with papers requesting I appear at surrogate court to show cause why I disagree to the issuance of limited letter of administration to my estrange brother.

But, none of the papers I received, relate what exactly is a limited administration ?

and if an award is commenced, is there a law that relates how the award is to be distributed ??

nascar

Thank You for shedding some light, but, what is confusing are the options on the legal document as follows:

PETITION FOR LETTERS OF:

___ Administration

_X_ Limited Administration

___ Administration with Limitations

___ Temporary Administration

Would you know what is the difference from Limited Administration as to Administration with Limitations ??