Target does not need customers

Apparently things are so good at target, they don't need customers. I called last year for an interest rate reduction. "NO" was the answer so I decided to stop using the card, BUT I did still shop there so they recieved coled hard cash with ZERO risk. Lo and behold, I found out today, they closed my account for inactivity. I called to have it restored but it is "not their policy" to do so. I explained that I was still a Target customer and that their competition (Sears, Penneys) did not do that to me. All that got was their apology but it is their policy. I told them that because of the account closure, they would no longer get my cash either. It did not make any difference. I congratulated them on their ability to remain unaffected by the poor economy and their ability to cast loyal customers aside for the sake of WANTING to have a risk via credit as opposed to wanting real money. I will not step foot in a Target store and will encourage all those I know to do the same. They did invite me to re-apply. My response...Why on EARTH would I want to RE-apply to a company that just took a crap on my credit and cancelled my card?

I hung up promptly.

It's all about reducing contingent liability and freeing up working capital - which will probably be diverted into the bonus pool.
LOL. Actually, things are not so hot at TGT. They're thinking about selling the land underneath their stores in a leaseback arrangement.

TGT is the upscale WMT. When times get a bit shaky, buyers tend to shift down. WMT is doing better than ever and TGT is taking it on the chin.

TGT just hit me with a CLD too....$1500 -> $1000. No notice or reason given.

LOL. Actually, things are not so hot at TGT. They're thinking about selling the land underneath their stores in a leaseback arrangement.

TGT is the upscale WMT. When times get a bit shaky, buyers tend to shift down. WMT is doing better than ever and TGT is taking it on the chin.

TGT just hit me with a CLD too....$1500 -> $1000. No notice or reason given.

F*&%'em. I'll wear a Wal-Mart BAG before I will buy Target clothes. They lost a customer forever. I did the same to Montgomery Wards many years ago and look where they are :)

There is nothing I need there, that I can't get somewhere ese. They could have had my CASH "always" and some credit interest "now and then", instead they will get NOTHING. Not one penny.

Well you'll be better off...so good riddens to them. I make a $5 purchase there once per year just to keep the tradeline going so they don't cut me off. Personally, I'm of the opinion that both Target and Wal-Mart sell complete crap. Both customer service and products are a mess in my experience. I'm sure this is a regional thing, so no doubt others have different experiences based on their location. I'm just outside of a big NE city.

They closed my $4000 credit card several years ago. I just never went into a target store much, before, during or since. The terms of the card were not much to entice me to use it and therefore I didn't.

I truly DO understand why they closed it, but it does not make me happy. Unlike my younger years, I now see credit as something to have for emergencies and when travelling I grab a zero balance card and have it on standby just in case. I think if I am adhering to their terms, then it should be MY option to close. If I am NOT adhering to their terms then it should be THEIR decision. It mostly bothers me because without a SINGLE mistake or mis-use, or abuse on my part, my credit score will be negatively impacted. It's one thing if I do it to myself, but with a click of a mouse key, THEY have harmed my credit.

Also, when I called and told them that my agreement says NOTHING about "lack of activity" they used the "we can change the terms at will" clause to which I stated that doing away with the terms is NOT the same as a change in terms. I feel unjustly PUNISHED, when the fact that I watch my debt should be REWARDED.

Aerovette-

In today's credit climate, no good deed goes unpunished. What happened to you once has happened to me 4 times since October and my Utilzation (even after the CLD's) is less than 20% and I have never been late with a payment.

You have the right attitude - they don't want your business... this credit funk won't last forever and there will come a day when tey ask you to come back. Then you can decide whether to take them up on it or ntell them to drop dead.

I've seen many variations on this article:

http://kdka.com/business/target.credit.terms.2.847705.html

I've always thought Target had overpriced crap. I only shopped there because they gave me a card a few years back - and even then it was only in emergencies when I actually needed something. I always PIF and they closed my account. While they didn't lose a 'faithful' customer, I'll never go there again.