JustaTexan

"Geographical rate increase"

Yesterday while paying my auto insurance bill I noticed it was $30 higher than usual. I looked at my policy and sure enough, when it renewed in March, it went up $200... from $575 to $774 for 6 months!

I thought this might have something to do with a false collection being on my credit reports or something like that so I immediately emailed my insurance company, Travelers and here was part of the response:

DeAnna,

We have seen a lot of premium increases with many of our companies in the last few months. I checked on your file, and there have been no incidents on your driving record to explain the increase, and the discount for the home policy is still being applied. That means that Travelers just changed their rating structure for your geographical area in order to keep up with the number of claims that have been made near you. Insurance companies manage risk in geographical groups, and your group has experienced a rate increase.

$200 for a "geographical group restructure." WTF ever! I'll be shopping around today. :roll:

--------------

While I'm griping about that I'll go ahead and gripe about something else! What the double hockey sticks is going on with food prices lately? Am I the only one who has seen a large grocery bill increase lately? I'm buying the same foods guys and so far for March I've spent almost $350 on food. By week 3 of a month, I've usually only spent around $250-$300. And I try to keep the montly total under $400. That's just not going to happen this month because we still have a week left! :shock:

I tried a garden last year- spent about 500 and got 1 edible eggplant.
LOL. It ain't easy. The only thing that I ever actually grew was a pot plant in a coffee can in my bedroom closet when I was 16. :)

That's crazy, D! I've never heard of anything like that in my life with auto insurance. HA! Wow! Companies are coming up with everything now to save their butts!

Food, though - Yea, it has been going up a lot, but living only with one roommate, I guess I don't notice that much. I usually go to the store when I get home or on the way home for work, and I figure out what I want to cook that night. Seems to be saving me more money and my foods are always fresh :)

...when does a bag of apples cost 7 bucks...?

You're in texas my dear. It costs money shipping those delicious apples down from my state to yours. :-)

regarding the (first) topic @ hand - when I was with Esurance mine went up 30 bucks a month as well...just because of the same reason you did. It's basically a way of them figuring out "ok, people in the Dallas area don't report as many claims, but those in Houston do...therefore we'll raise Dallas car owners' rates to offset, for there must be some reason for the increase in claims"...know what I mean?

Then I switched insurance companies to my current one and I have almost double the coverage for just over half the price! :-) so it certainly pays to shop around. Good luck!

Yea, it has been going up a lot, but living only with one roommate, I guess I don't notice that much.

Wait until you have kids my friend! They eat everything in sight! My little girl is in her "picky stage," but all my little boy does is eat and poop! At breakfast time if my daughter has to go to the restroom or isn't up at the table quick enough, my son will actually get out of his chair and sneak her food off her plate! :shock::lol: This morning he actually took his strawberry poptart off of his plate, put it on her plate, and took her granola bar that was on her plate! :shock::lol:

...when does a bag of apples cost 7 bucks...?

You're in texas my dear. It costs money shipping those delicious apples down from my state to yours. :-)

regarding the (first) topic @ hand - when I was with Esurance mine went up 30 bucks a month as well...just because of the same reason you did. It's basically a way of them figuring out "ok, people in the Dallas area don't report as many claims, but those in Houston do...therefore we'll raise Dallas car owners' rates to offset, for there must be some reason for the increase in claims"...know what I mean?

Then I switched insurance companies to my current one and I have almost double the coverage for just over half the price! :-) so it certainly pays to shop around. Good luck!

You know what the funny thing is? I've never even filed an insurance claim in my life! I've only had one minor wreck and that was when I was 17 and it's not even on the record as no authorities were notified. I've had maybe 3 or 4 tickets in my 11 year driving career. This rate increase is BS! :twisted:

I'm shopping around!

I'm shopping around!

I was insured with Alsstate since a teenager- When I went to add my 16 yr old son on the policy- the rates almost doubled. I was looking at my NFCU website and noticed a link to GEICO- they even give you a discount for joining through the CU- In the end I only got an increase of about 70 dollars (from my Allstate rate)- that was with adding a 16 year old and a car. Never got a call from an Allstate agent wondering why I left- no attempt to keep me. Oh well.

pot plant in the closet?

Tell us how you managed that please!!!:confused::confused:

Deanna:

Stuff is outrageous in the stores. I've been noticing it too.

As for insurance, maybe that's why Allstate jaked my insurance 20 a month. hum....I'm going to have to drag out the policy now.............

Fluorescent light, large coffe cans, seeds, and towel at the bottom of door to reduce the smell. Fire hazard for sure. Maybe one day I'll share the story of how my parents flushed 12 ounces of weed down the toilet on me....seems like a completely different lifetime. 88-)

Regarding insurance, this is how insurers segregate risk. My rental property is in a very upscale area of Philadelphia, but because its Philly, I pay through the nose for homeowner's insurance.

Definitely shop around!! Make it a habit to shop around at least every other year. Keep 'em honest.

Regarding insurance, this is how insurers segregate risk. My rental property is in a very upscale area of Philadelphia, but because its Philly, I pay through the nose for homeowner's insurance.

Definitely shop around!! Make it a habit to shop around at least every other year. Keep 'em honest.

I'm just curious...what do you pay for homeowners insurance? I thought our insurance here in Florida had the highest rates around! :shock:

It is a small rowhome and I pay $1243/yr. My home 8 miles away (primary residence) is worth more and I pay $500/yr with double the amout of coverage.

BTW- when I bought the rental, I priced out five companies for homeowenr's. They ranged from $3200/yr to $1150/yr for an identical policy.

Keep in mind that the risk of loss is fairly small. We have no hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, like other parts of the country...

That IS higher than I expected for your area because you don't have the hurricanes and other weather related issues we have here. :confused:

Maybe it is back to the zip code thing - certain zip codes have higher premiums. My opinon is some is justifiably related to risk and the rest is related to insurance companies get what they can!

I pay 624 a year for homeowners in Ohio...some kind of platinum pkg from Allstate. It was $412 when I got it last year but it went up...due to 4 natural disasters being declared in Ohio. Or at least that's what they said.

My car insurance for 3 (2 full and 1 reg) is 1000 for 6 mths. We added a 16 yrs old to the policy and it went up. It's with allstate....i did shop around for cheaper but the cheapest I found only saved me 12 bucks a month. It wasn't worth all the paper work to change over. My SIL lives in Ky and has one vechicle and her insurance is double what I pay for 3 (they say b/c all the coal trucks around there)

I'm growing a garden this year. Doing everything except Peas (I shelled many purple hull peas when I was a kid...I swore I would never have purple fingers again) I've never done it before...but I'm willing to try.

Groceries have went way up around here. They've went up so fast, it's scary. Everything is going up. The taxes on my electric and phone have went up. Even my satellite tax is crazy.

Sorry for the long rant.

Everything is going up.
Yes. And this is why I rant about the federal government plugging deficits by (1) selling boatloads of treasury notes (ie: huge credit cards) and (2) having the Fed print money without any hard asset backing to buy those notes from treasury (quantitative easing). Both are enormously inflationary. This is not some egghead textbook concept. It means every dollar in your pocket shrinks in value on a daily basis so that this printed money can be passed along for trillions in pet projects and bailouts. :evil: When I say your dollar shrinks in value, what I mean is PRICES GO UP because each dollar is worth less.

BTW- this is being done purposely. The idea here is to INFLATE asset prices enough so that they swell enough to engulf the underlying fixed debt attached to that asset (think of your mortgage balance remaining fixed while the asset "goes up" in value). The problem is that no one has ever successfully pulled off a "targeted" inflationary policy (aimed just at homes). Inflation is like a virus that infects all goods and services. So while home prices may double over 10 years because of this insane policy, so does the price of food, gas, heating oil, and medical services. Imagine that you are a retiree and everything you've worked for your entire life just got cut in half....

I pay 624 a year for homeowners in Ohio...some kind of platinum pkg from Allstate. It was $412 when I got it last year but it went up...due to 4 natural disasters being declared in Ohio. Or at least that's what they said.

My car insurance for 3 (2 full and 1 reg) is 1000 for 6 mths. We added a 16 yrs old to the policy and it went up. It's with allstate....i did shop around for cheaper but the cheapest I found only saved me 12 bucks a month. It wasn't worth all the paper work to change over. My SIL lives in Ky and has one vechicle and her insurance is double what I pay for 3 (they say b/c all the coal trucks around there)

I'm growing a garden this year. Doing everything except Peas (I shelled many purple hull peas when I was a kid...I swore I would never have purple fingers again) I've never done it before...but I'm willing to try.

Groceries have went way up around here. They've went up so fast, it's scary. Everything is going up. The taxes on my electric and phone have went up. Even my satellite tax is crazy.

Sorry for the long rant.

No no rant on! I feel your pain! Let me know how your garden works out. I'm really thinking about trying to grow a few things.

I'm seriously thinking about beginning to grow my own fruits and vegetables. I don't know a thing about gardening but I might just have to learn. Since when does a bag of apples cost $7? :shock::twisted::evil:

SWMBO made me plant a bunch of stuff last year. Strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, squash, onions.

Raspberries weren't supposed to bear fruit for another year, so perhaps the payoff starts this year. However, we did get a few.

Strawberries kicked butt. We conscripted DS last year as a strawberry picker. Everything else was pretty weak.

Fruit trees seemed low maintenance to me, so I planted 2 apple, 1 pear, 1 peach and 1 cherry tree. Added another cherry and a plum last week. Pear tree is getting lots of blooms. Who knows, maybe we'll get pears this year. Could have opted for mature trees that would be delivering fruit now, but those tend to be a lot more expensive and a lot larger. As such, you might have to pay for install. I opted for trees in a bucket at Home Despot. It's a long term stimulus. I spend the money now, but the payoff won't come for years. Just like, um, ah, nevermind.

SWMBO saw a lemon tree, and had to have it. Hardy down to 20 degrees. Not sure yet, but I'm thinking about keeping it potted and bring it inside 3 months of the year.

Different stuff grows in Washington than in Texas, but I'd bet apples do well there. Home Despot will refund your plant purchase if it dies for up to one year from the date of purchase. But you have to save the receipt.

SWMBO made me plant a bunch of stuff last year. Strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, squash, onions.

Raspberries weren't supposed to bear fruit for another year, so perhaps the payoff starts this year. However, we did get a few.

Strawberries kicked butt. We conscripted DS last year as a strawberry picker. Everything else was pretty weak.

Fruit trees seemed low maintenance to me, so I planted 2 apple, 1 pear, 1 peach and 1 cherry tree. Added another cherry and a plum last week. Pear tree is getting lots of blooms. Who knows, maybe we'll get pears this year. Could have opted for mature trees that would be delivering fruit now, but those tend to be a lot more expensive and a lot larger. As such, you might have to pay for install. I opted for trees in a bucket at Home Despot. It's a long term stimulus. I spend the money now, but the payoff won't come for years. Just like, um, ah, nevermind.

SWMBO saw a lemon tree, and had to have it. Hardy down to 20 degrees. Not sure yet, but I'm thinking about keeping it potted and bring it inside 3 months of the year.

Different stuff grows in Washington than in Texas, but I'd bet apples do well there. Home Despot will refund your plant purchase if it dies for up to one year from the date of purchase. But you have to save the receipt.

Sounds like you've had success! I remember growing up my Uncle Jack had had a garden and we used to help him alot with his strawberries. He had all kinds of stuff though.

I'd like to try strawberries, tomatoes, all kinds of peppers, and maybe some kind of pea or bean. Hmmmm!

Yesterday while paying my auto insurance bill I noticed it was $30 higher than usual. I looked at my policy and sure enough, when it renewed in March, it went up $200... from $575 to $774 for 6 months!

I thought this might have something to do with a false collection being on my credit reports or something like that so I immediately emailed my insurance company, Travelers and here was part of the response:

$200 for a "geographical group restructure." WTF ever! I'll be shopping around today. :roll:

That increase sounds excessive to me.

Did you contact the TX Department of Insurance?

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/auto/index.html