scorch

What do you do for a living?

Well I am the text book example of a geek, I fix computers and all kinds of electronics in a small town...I would love to say thats how I make my living.

But I work at another company in the shipping department....that pays the bills

So heres my schedule, Fri, sat, sun I work 6 am to 6 pm at the shipping department. The Mon-thursday I work at the shop 10-6 pm. :mrgreen:

Up until about a month ago, I was a PCA/HHA (Personal Care Aid/Home Health Aid). I've also spent the past several years as a special needs parent, foster parent, and child care provider. The bottom line is I am a caregiver.

Although, I am now looking to prvide more care to myself and less to those around me (save my husband and youngest child.) Our oldest is safely transferred to her adult group home and suddenly I have more time and energy than I know what to do with!

I'd like to pursue writing, life coaching, and possibly ministry. Maybe I can be a credit repair coach 8-)

Usually look for employment.

bahaha.... So funny, yet so true.

<- IT project lead. Most of my day-to-day work is writing .NET applications and database design/support, but could include installing hardware out on a factory floor.

Half of my projects end up being to write .NET replacements for someonesomewhere's COBOL/VAX programs. :)

Okay, since nobody got the joke about BarcoLounger Dancer (e.g., really old Chippendale dancer, for those of you who were wondering)...

I'm a writer. Two books published many years ago that I still owe the publisher about $1500 for the advance (I didn't say they were popular books).

And, I've been an IT Geek since it was still called Data Processing and a Geek was a character in a Popeye cartoon.

I design systems and web sites and write code. Right now, HTML, VBScript, Javascript in ASP and ASP.NET but I've been doing this a long time so I also write C (all flavors and variations), Basic (again, all variations), COBOL, PL/I, Fortran, Lisp, Assembler, Pascal, Modula-2, XML, PIL, Algol, ADA, and RPG (although I won't admit RPG in public). I've touched most of the major code generators and just about every computer model ever made from IBM1401 thru Cray's...micros, minis, and mainframes. I've even built a couple. And, I do networks. If it computes, I've programmed it.

Mostly, write bad code on top of other really bad code written back in 1983 that no one is willing to let ya change because they really don't know what they want.

do we have you to thank for the infamously-predicted Y2K meltdown... that never happened?

if so, thanks!

My money job:

work at one of the last US companies that makes check encoders for banks and credit unions worldwide. MICR encoders, they're called. I repair and troubleshoot teh circuit boards, inspect incoming and outgoing components/machines adn make sure all is good.

My fun job:

Blockbuster video. :-)

I'm a financial strategist. What I do is use a process to help people analyze, integrate and coordinate their past and current financial decisions for:

- Accumulating assets

- Distribution of those assets in retirement in a tax-efficient manner

- Preserve and pass on those assets to those you love and care about.

Okay, since nobody got the joke about BarcoLounger Dancer (e.g., really old Chippendale dancer, for those of you who were wondering)...

I totally got it and was going to post,"Ooh yeah shake it for me baby!" but I thought that might be considered inappropriate..... :lol:

Absolutely! The solution to global warning is wait...it will go away.

Here's a fact. The Earth's climate changes.

Here's another fact. The Earth's climate was warming long before humans pumped CO2 into the air...the Vikings were growing wine in Greenland in the 800's But, then it got cold again...the Thames river in England froze solid in the 1800's.

Here's another fact. 600 Million years ago, the earth was one giant snowball. No clear land anywhere. Then, starting about 550 million years ago, the earth warmed into a tropic forest where the dinosaurs thrived.

Okay...yes...it would be a good idea for us to stop pumping CO2....but...that doesn't cause global warming, it is the end result of burning a non-renewal (at least in our lifetime) resource...oil.

Absolutely! The solution to global warning is wait...it will go away.

Here's a fact. The Earth's climate changes.

Here's another fact. The Earth's climate was warming long before humans pumped CO2 into the air...the Vikings were growing wine in Greenland in the 800's But, then it got cold again...the Thames river in England froze solid in the 1800's.

Here's another fact. 600 Million years ago, the earth was one giant snowball. No clear land anywhere. Then, starting about 550 million years ago, the earth warmed into a tropic forest where the dinosaurs thrived.

Okay...yes...it would be a good idea for us to stop pumping CO2....but...that doesn't cause global warming, it is the end result of burning a non-renewal (at least in our lifetime) resource...oil.

You should have been a school teacher!-

It certainly is interesting to see what everyone does! Great thread. I had many (pleasant) surprises reading everyone's professions.

Past:

Waitress/Cook/Bartender

House Cleaner

Engineer/Rocket Scientist

Mortgage Loan Officer

Full time software/db design (C, C#, VB, Java, php/mySql, Sql Server)

Current:

Web master/editor/writer for creditinfocenter.com

Referee/Baby-sitter for these forums

Loving my current job(s)! After 12 years, I can finally do it full time.

In my past lives, before COBOL, let's see:

- Delivered newspapers

- Hardware store worker

- Delivered pizzas (robbed at gunpoint the first night on the job)

- Sewer worker

- A/V department at a community college

- Cashier

- Plant stand worker

- Landscaper

- Underground sprinkler system installer

- IT Help Desk