problems with calls from American Express

cc1015

I am having problems with American Express calling my house everyday for an account that I am paying them on!! May card was cancelled a few years ago, hwvr, I still had a sign and travel portion of the account that was open. This type of account allows you to make monthly payments until debt is paid off.

I had been paying them pretty steadily, hwvr, I would say in October of '07 they decided to send me over to NCO collection to "accelerate" payments, which means have the collection agency go after the account because American express said they were not getting their money fast enough.

I have fought off all collectors that they have sent me to by contacting the FTC, BBB and Attorney General's office. I also continued to pay American Express, as they continued to send me bills.

AE finally got the message and decided to now try and collect the money themselves. They call my house every day even though I am paying them. I have written letters to them, AG, FTC, BBB OTC to no avail. They continue to call, as they are not happy with the amounts they are receiving. I pay them a few dollars more than the amount they ask for on the bill.I owe them approximately $1300 and pay between 35-50 dollars per month. They are never satisfied and I am sick of asking them to stop calling.

Anybody have any suggestions? American Express is the worst. They are very aggressive.

If $50/month is all you can afford then that's all you can afford but they have the right to call you; even every day.

I appreciate that getting these types of calls every day is irritating but complaining to the FTC, BBB, AG, etc. will not help you because they aren't doing anything wrong.

If you don't want to take their calls then probably the most practical thing you can do is not answer the phone when they call.

I definitely believe you when you say they are aggressive. To say the least!! At one point I was getting 8 calls a day to my cell phone at ALL hours of the day. Oh, but that's not the worst part... I've never had or even applied for an AMEX card. They even asked for people with different last names when calling my cell and leaving their messages. I added their number to my "contacts" in my cell phone so I'd easily recognize the call as coming from them.

I finally answered one day at work, very annoyed, and told them to stop calling my number. I don't know who they are asking for and I have never had any relationship with AMEX. I also e-mailed AMEX and told them my next step was a complaint to the FTC and BBB. The calls stopped.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to do one of four things:

!. Pick up the phone and say NOTHING until THEY hang up.

2. Pick up the phone and hang it right up.

3. Answer and immediately tell THEM that I am the one recording the call to make sure there are no misunderstandings if the matter reached legal proceedings. 9 times out of ten this worked the best-they would be shocked and just hang up themselves!

4. Answer the phone and say something in Spanish or another language-they then think they have the wrong number.

I used to do one of four things:

!. Pick up the phone and say NOTHING until THEY hang up.

2. Pick up the phone and hang it right up.

3. Answer and immediately tell THEM that I am the one recording the call to make sure there are no misunderstandings if the matter reached legal proceedings. 9 times out of ten this worked the best-they would be shocked and just hang up themselves!

4. Answer the phone and say something in Spanish or another language-they then think they have the wrong number.

One more to add to this list

Call and give them an internet fax # as your new number

works!!!!!!!!!!