Can a collection company report an account years after it was paid?

FightingBack

I owed my dentist money 2 ½ years ago. I set up a payment arrangement but stopped paying on it. The debt was then sent to a collection agency. However, I paid the dentist directly when I needed more work done over a year ago. The collection agency did not report this on my credit report until last month. (listed as Paid/Closed)

My questions are:

Can the collection agency report this account for the first time now even though it was paid in full more than a year ago?

Can the collection agency report this as a paid collection when I paid the dentist directly? I did not have any relationship with them.

Why would they bother to report this more than a year after it was paid?

yes, yes, and yes to your questions.

It was your debt, you paid it, and they are allowed to report it. Just b/c you paid the dentist directly, doesn't mean that the CA doesn't have a relationship with them. You should have gotten your dentist to call it back from collection before you paid.

I don't know why they would bother reporting it now after a year....but they are allowed to.

Your response made me realize something - it actually wasn't my debt! This debt was for dental work my husband had done. The insurance is also under his name.

BTW - The dentist office miscalculated our payments toward the maximum insurance, which is why we ended up owing so much and why they agreed to a payment plan.

Do either of these sound like defenses? I've worked so hard to pay down my debt over the past 3 years, I hate to see it ruined...

I had one of these pop up on my wife's report. All of a sudden a six year old, small, paid collection was being reported. She didn't recall it, so I disputed it with "No knowledge of Acct" and it was deleted. It was only reported on TU.

If it isn't your acct, then that would seem to be a good place to start with any dispute.

Your response made me realize something - it actually wasn't my debt! This debt was for dental work my husband had done. The insurance is also under his name.

BTW - The dentist office miscalculated our payments toward the maximum insurance, which is why we ended up owing so much and why they agreed to a payment plan.

Do either of these sound like defenses? I've worked so hard to pay down my debt over the past 3 years, I hate to see it ruined...

Then I would be curious how this debt got associated with your name at all...if the service was provided to someone else (husband or not) and the insurance was not in you name and you had no legal obligation to pay and you did not pay then how did they know you even existed let alone associate this with your credit history?

I would dispute using the 623 method so as to make the DF provide some detail (or go away).