How to check child's credit report

Hey everyone. I have very good reason to suspect that my ex husband used our daughter's social security # to get a car. How can I go about checking her credit to be sure? I tried annual credit report, but it stated that because she isn't 18 there is no report.

You have to write each of the CRA's a letter with your daughter's information....a copy of her Birth certificate and SS# and you also have to send your information...DL's, SS#. You can't do this over the phone. They require proof of the child.

It should be free b/c you suspect fraud.

Usually if there is ANY information on the child....the CRA's will delete it off and freeze the CR until she is 18. Atleast that's what they did with my daughter. They sent me copies of her CR...with basic info on it like her name, address, and SS and THAT WAS ALL. The report was completely empty. (But they did list the infomation of the tradeline that they deleted off)

The CRA's worked very fast on my case. I recieved information within a week or 2.

After you recieve the info back.....file charges against whoever did it with the info you recieve from the CRA.

• Like 1

Even in the positive event, that your child has no credit file and that you were wrong in your suspicions, you should add him/her to one of your credit cards as an auth user. This will cause reporting to start. Then, get a copy of your child's file, 1-2 months later after it starts reporting. Then, lock/freeze the file. That will prevent your ex from ever doing that--even if he didn't do it this time.

If your suspicions were correct and this tradeline is showing up under your child's SSN on CRA reports, you should file ID Theft Affidavits from the FTC (http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2002/02/idtheft.shtm) and also file a police report with your local authorities. Mail copies of these to each CRA and to the bank that granted the loan. You should also consider sueing your ex husband. Once the trade line is removed from your child's credit file, then add him/her as an auth user. Then, lock/freeze the file. This will prevent your ex (or anyone else) from ever doing this again.