Hello and Holy Credit!!!

elementalcredit

Greetings 8-),

I'm just getting started, well not really, but yeah really. As of 2002 I completely paid off 100% of my debt. Yep, that's right, no debt. Also no credit cards, no loans, no nothing. I had around 20k of debt in collections, yes all of it. I've enjoyed not getting calls and having 0 stress in regards to credit for the last several years, its been great. Here it comes... Ready?

BUT

yeah, that was nice huh?

Anyway, BUT i recently tried to get a loan from my Credit Union, the only place I bank, who only looks at Equifax. Turns out I didn't have a report or a score. I had to get a cosigner and I got a damn good one. Anyway, I pulled my credit reports and scores about 8 months ago and had 625-650 on Experian and TU, nothing from Equifax. I figured what the hey low 600s ain't bad right?

Ok well, now I'm a little better informed (but not much) and realize I need to get this stuff under control. I've also gone back to school on loans (should be about ($25k when its all said and done) and got a Credit Card from the same Credit Union with a $500 limit (too pay my bills with and then pay off every month). I make the National Median Income, so I'm no Daddy Warbucks. I only mention this stuff here as I plan to post my questions in this thread as I go.

So I'll be getting my reports and scores again pretty soon. I do have a few questions though.

How important is it that all 3 reports match as much as possible?

Can I fix one and have the other two fixed from the one that is correct?

I thought I was entitled by law to tell my potential creditors which CRA I want them to get my score from? Or can I just tell them not to use a specific CRA due to disputes?

You probably don't have a report with Eq b/c you don't have any credit and haven't had any in awhile.

How important is it that all 3 reports match as much as possible?

It's not unusual that they don't match at all. Some creditors report to just one credit report, some report to all.

Can I fix one and have the other two fixed from the one that is correct?

No. One credit reporting agency doesn't care what the other is doing. You have to dispute each one separately.

I thought I was entitled by law to tell my potential creditors which CRA I want them to get my score from? Or can I just tell them not to use a specific CRA due to disputes?

It's not a law. It cost bill collectors to put trade lines on your credit report. That is why you will see one trade line on one report and not the other. Some bill collectors pay to report on all the credit reports. You can tell a company to pull a certain report. Doesn't mean they have to though.

The easiest way for me to read my reports when I started out was:

I got a big poster board and made columns and put each trade line on it's own space. It helped to see them all laid out on one piece of paper. Then I was able to separate and see what I had.

Good luck

Ok so the first most glaring inaccuracncy is my current/past addresses and employer. I don't imagine this information affects my score much, but I would like it to be accuate anyway. What sort of documentation should I send with my correction request? Will a list of the correct information be enough or do I need to send in a check stub and maybe some bills with the past address on them? Perhaps contact info for my landlords/property owners?

Ok so the first most glaring inaccuracncy is my current/past addresses and employer. I don't imagine this information affects my score much, but I would like it to be accuate anyway. What sort of documentation should I send with my correction request? Will a list of the correct information be enough or do I need to send in a check stub and maybe some bills with the past address on them? Perhaps contact info for my landlords/property owners?

I'm interested to know how to fix this too. Some of my ex's many addresses are on my report... yet I never lived at any of them.

This is likely due to the fact you shared credit at one time. Example my ex had/has Amex, I was an auth user when we split she dumped me as AU. Now every time she moves its on my report as my address because the way amex reports. For me its a pos TL so I deal with it but that is most plausable senario. You certainly can dispute it but seems more of a pain than worth IMO.

I dispute all inaccurate/out-of date personal information. It's obsolete.

Also some addresses and other personal information is tied to a certain trade-line.

I have gotten stuff deleted (like a old variation of my name or a wrong address) and the tradeline (collection account that was tied with that info) has went bye-bye

Creditors don't really need all that much personal info about you to add a tradeline to your CR. Sometimes they just type in your name and address....or phone number, whatever, and add it. That's why some people get tradelines that are not theirs.

Don't send in check stubs or bills.....you don't want the CRA's to know all that stuff.

Just write a letter....send in a copy of your DL's and SS#. Write in the letter

I dispute these items b/c they are NOT mine or they are obsolete. Then list the items that are spelled wrong, wrong names, wrong SS, wrong or obsolete employees.

All they need on your CR is a few basic things....like your current name, your current address (or 1 previous one if you've moved recently) one SS#.