Anyone?? Need advice

petrovsky

Here is my situation, short and sweet:

In 1996 I picked up a traffic ticket but apparently forgot to pay the fine of $120. Here we are, 13 years later, and I had my 2007 state income tax refund garnished to pay the fine. No problem so far - I can live with that, but here is where I have the problem . . .

I had a stellar credit score of about 790 until this incident. Now, it has dropped to anywhere from 697 - 733 depending on the agency. I hope to buy a home sometime soon, and this lowered score will possibly prevent me from getting the best rate.

Anyhow, the collection agency that garnished the income tax refund then reported it to the credit reporting agencies 13 years later!!!! I never received a notice from them stating that this bill was outstanding or turned over for collections. Had it gone on my record then, it would have cleared by now, but for something that happened in 1996, I will have it scarring my record until 2015!!!!!

Can I still demand to see the letter of debt validation? What recourse do I have in order to get this removed? They informed me that there was no statute of limitations for such matters and that they did not have to prove that they mailed anything to my former address stating they made a "valiant effort to contact me". Any advice on this matter?? TIA

Who is "they"? The CA? Even if they made a "valiant" effort to contact you according to the FDCPA your failure to respond within 30 days of that effort is not an admission on your part that the debt is legitimate. Considering how old this is, I would be fighting this like a wolf. Do some research on the CA. Since they all stink, you have to be able to find something to use on them. This has to be a bottom of the barrel JDB to scrape for something this old. Good luck!:D

The debt was likely legally owed, 13 years or 33 years is often not an issue when it comes to fines for criminal activity (even a misdemeanor traffic ticket).

However, as suggested, I don't believe that the CA and/or the ticketing authority has the authority to report an incident this old so disputing is probably the best first step.