They're baaaaack....

confuzed

I was harassed by Lawrence Hecker and Donald Burak in 2007 over a supposed "debt" (could not be verified by the OC, too old, and was never verified by either CA after request.) Thread is here:

http://www.debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271806&highlight=lawrence+hecker

Now I am getting messages from "Accelerated Financial" and they phoned my sister. I don't think I ever got any written mail from them - if I did, it looked like junk and I tossed it unopened.

The NACA attorneys eventually decided that they did not want the original case and advised me to ignore the calls and they'd go away, which they did.

I have not spoken to Accelerated Financial, got the name by googling the phone number they left with my sister.

I know it is not recommended to talk to these guys by phone, but I want to know what it is they think they have. I do not know of anything it COULD be except the same issue Hecker thought he had. Should I call and ask for their information? I can refuse to give any information myself, right? (The last guys wanted my ss# and to verify my employer etc., which I do not want to do this time.)

I can't DV when I don't know what they're talking about for sure, but if I don't DV I'm afraid the calls won't stop.

I was harassed by Lawrence Hecker and Donald Burak in 2007 over a supposed "debt" (could not be verified by the OC, too old, and was never verified by either CA after request.) Thread is here:

http://www.debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271806&highlight=lawrence+hecker

Now I am getting messages from "Accelerated Financial" and they phoned my sister. I don't think I ever got any written mail from them - if I did, it looked like junk and I tossed it unopened.

The NACA attorneys eventually decided that they did not want the original case and advised me to ignore the calls and they'd go away, which they did.

I have not spoken to Accelerated Financial, got the name by googling the phone number they left with my sister.

I know it is not recommended to talk to these guys by phone, but I want to know what it is they think they have. I do not know of anything it COULD be except the same issue Hecker thought he had. Should I call and ask for their information? I can refuse to give any information myself, right? (The last guys wanted my ss# and to verify my employer etc., which I do not want to do this time.)

I can't DV when I don't know what they're talking about for sure, but if I don't DV I'm afraid the calls won't stop.

It is true that phone conversations with CAs should be avoided but they are sometimes necessary which is the case here.

I suggest you return their phone call long enough to tell them how to reach you by mail - ask them to send you their information by mail and then hang up...be polite...be short and to the point...don't get engaged in a long conversation.

Until they've contacted you in writing there is little you can do except sit there and wonder what it's all about.

Thank you.

I called the number they gave my sister - they answered "legal department, Christine" but no company name. I verified my name and gave them the "case number" they gave her, but would not verify my social security number for them, so they refused to tell me the name of the company I was calling, and they hung up on me.

What kind of company will not tell you WHO THEY ARE???

Should I have verified my social? I don't want to do that.

The companies that are scum-sucking pigs.

That's a totally personal decision.

It's not unreasonable for them to want to know they are talking to the right person but I'd always be cautious with my SSN.

For example, I would never just give out my full SSN to anyone on the phone but if they wanted me to provide the last four digits I probably would...likewise, I wouldn't have a problem "verifying" my SSN if they read it too to me.

Thank you for taking your time to help me, Robert.

All right, I am going to try again. I will verify my social, name, and address. I want their company name and address and any information they have on the "debt" - i.e., debt validation. I will request this in writing as soon as I have their name and address, and I will tell them on the phone that I am doing this.

I don't think I have to give them any other info, do I? Or is there anything else I ought to tell them or ask for?

Thank you.

I called the number they gave my sister - they answered "legal department, Christine" but no company name. I verified my name and gave them the "case number" they gave her, but would not verify my social security number for them, so they refused to tell me the name of the company I was calling, and they hung up on me.

no you dont, you can say , your last name and what state your in, should be enough, WHY would you give any "personal" info to someone you have No idea of who they are?

whats thier phone number?

No, you don't have to give them anything else but I don't believe I'd tell them you are going to request validation; just ask them to send you their information in writing and end the call.

Once they've made that initial contact with you they should send you an initial dunning letter postmarked within five days.

877-484-5455

It googles as "Accelerated Financial" which is a debt-consolidation company doubling as a junk debt collector, apparently.

ohh Now this is Interesting

http://www.ftc.gov/os/caselist/0523002/0523002.shtm

Looks as if the FTC is suing / sued them

Now you have a name, Call your Licence dept for a address.. then DV them

or if you dont mind what state you in?

I'm in California. No licensing requirements for CA's here.

I did read that - it's in regards to their "credit consolidation" arm, which is fraudulent. They promised reduced interest rates which they can't deliver.

DSI FINANCIAL, INC.,

nameLOS ANGELESSAN FRANCISCO

345 California Street

Suite 1150

San Francisco, California

94104-2664

Telephone 415/981-2717

Facsimile 415/981-2718

Wells Fargo Center

333 South Grand Avenue

Suite 4070

Los Angeles, California 90071-1544

Telephone 213/617-2717

Facsimile 213/617-2718

of "main company " aka Accelerated Financial

seems they "sell" debt consolidation on debts they "buy" , they are NOT listed as a Collection agent but as a " debt counseling service"

All right - a little better luck this time.

They say it's in regards to a CitiBank account on which I owe 2649.65. This is not the figure Hecker gave me, but it's equally bogus - same supposed original creditor, who had no record of the debt when I queried them in 2007.

They say they sent me notification, but I told them I had not received any. They said they'd send it again.

They say I paid on the account for twenty years, last payment in 2002. I did have a Citibank card, but no longer have the account number, as I closed it about 14 years ago (paid off.)

So same story - if the debt exists somehow - and I certainly doubt it - it would be out of time in California, right?

He did give me an address, after I asked about six times, but told me "if you're going to send a cease and desist, don't bother."

For anyone searching later:

Accelerated Financial

PO Box 5128

Portsmouth, VA

According to a complaint filed by the FTC and the Washington State Attorney General, the defendants made unsolicited phone calls to consumers nationwide and marketed the program on Internet Web sites, including www.debt2wealth.com and www.acceleratedfinancialinc.com. The complaint alleges that they falsely told consumers that a financial consultant with special relationships with the consumers’ creditors would negotiate substantially lower interest rates for them,

The defendants allegedly violated Section 5(a) of the FTC Act by falsely claiming that purchasers would save thousands of dollars in a short time, have credit card and loan interest rates reduced substantially, pay off their debt much faster without higher monthly payments

The settlement permanently prohibits the defendants from engaging in the violations alleged in the complaint and imposes a judgment of $23,255,420, which will be suspended due to their inability to pay. The judgment will be imposed if they are found to have misrepresented their financial condition. The defendants are Debt Solutions Inc., DSI Financial Inc., DSI Direct Inc., and Pacific Consolidation Services Inc., and their two owners, Kenneth Schwartz and Jennifer Whalen, who are permanently barred from engaging in any debt negotiation or debtelimination business, and telemarketing sales managers David Schwartz and Greg Moses.

Copies of the complaint and order are available from the FTC’s Web site

All right - a little better luck this time.

They say it's in regards to a CitiBank account on which I owe 2649.65. This is not the figure Hecker gave me, but it's equally bogus - same supposed original creditor, who had no record of the debt when I queried them in 2007.

They say they sent me notification, but I told them I had not received any. They said they'd send it again.

They say I paid on the account for twenty years, last payment in 2002. I did have a Citibank card, but no longer have the account number, as I closed it about 14 years ago (paid off.)

So same story - if the debt exists somehow - and I certainly doubt it - it would be out of time in California, right?

He did give me an address, after I asked about six times, but told me "if you're going to send a cease and desist, don't bother."

For anyone searching later:

Accelerated Financial

PO Box 5128

Portsmouth, VA

if its past SOL send them a "this is timebarred" collection & FOAD

You know (this is a rant) - this cr@#$ is extremely tiresome. I TRIED to find out if I ever owed any money that I was not aware of; I made a good effort; I could not find anything. I am not sending money to some yahoo who claims I owe money that neither he nor I can verify.

Yet they seem to be able to "sell" this paper from place to place, and there seems to be not a ^@!#$ thing I can do to make them STOP. Even when they violated the FDCPA, it was not worth it to the NACA attorneys to take it to court.

At what point will this bogus "debt" be worthless to the bottomfeeders and quit being re-sold? Ever?

Thank you to all the folks who have helped me, this time & last. I am grateful to this forum for helping me - I would have paid the huge amount last time, just because they intimidate me and I want them to GO AWAY. That's how they stay in business, I guess.

Is there anyone here who has worked for these companies? I would like to know a few things that I can't seem to find out:

When "accounts" are bought, how do they travel? Is there a physical file folder that includes correspondence? In other words, if I retain an attorney and refer them to that attorney - thereby reducing my value to them - will that information be passed along when they sell me again? Does it make me less attractive, or am I only moving along as part of some huge transaction (such as "1.2M in collectible debts")?

I have had debt that went into SOL more than 15 years ago. The term they use on this board is, "Whacking the moles". I hate to say this but get use to these CAs and JDBs calling you. I have filed complaints with my state DA's office and it gets quiet for a while but later down the road some other JDB buys the portfolio my accounts are in and they will try again. Then when I tell that comany to FOAD, they will sell the debt and someone else will try again. They still call me and they will still call you until it's not legal for them to collect on debts past the SOL, or it is no longer a very profitable busioness. I know it stinks - I feel your pain - but again, this will continue for many years I'm afraid.

Thanks, Joanneb1253. It's extremely frustrating since I will never know if there ever WAS any amount of real debt that I didn't know about. No one can tell me. Yet I seem destined to hear from these bottomfeeders and can't make it stop.

It makes me want to take SOME sort of action to make these people stop, for you and for me and for anyone else being so harassed. And yet there seems nothing that I can really do.

Thanks, Joanneb1253. It's extremely frustrating since I will never know if there ever WAS any amount of real debt that I didn't know about. No one can tell me. Yet I seem destined to hear from these bottomfeeders and can't make it stop.

It makes me want to take SOME sort of action to make these people stop, for you and for me and for anyone else being so harassed. And yet there seems nothing that I can really do.

Do you really have no idea if you have an outstanding debt or not?

I guess I can understand that things can get confusing as debts are sold and re-sold but I would think that most people have a pretty good idea of the existence of their debts even if they don't remember specific amounts or dates, etc.

I do know the amount of my origianl debt that was charged off. I still have a copy of my credit report way back when that shows this. The ugly thing is every time this debt has been passed along, outrageous interest, fees, etc have been tacked on. My original number was around 5K. Now they - the JDBs claim I owe thousands. The sad thing is I would love to pay my debt back to the original accounts, but since it has long been writen off, they don't want what is truly theirs. So the catch 22 begins.

Robert is correct. You do need to do some research and find out what the debts truly are before you can defend yourself. His advice is very sound.

No, I don't. There's no subterfuge there. I went through a very difficult financial period in the late nineties, during a divorce, with blah blah personal stuff, and many bills went into collection, and my home faced foreclosure. But that was a few years AFTER I cancelled the credit cards, paying the remaining balances and closing the accounts. And as far as I know all debts from that time were paid - and none were credit cards, anyway.

Common sense says that if I have no recollection of owing it (and you would think I would know, and that Citibank would have been asking me for it), and it's not on my credit report, and Citibank has no records, then I don't owe it. That's what most people would assume.

But because I have that old guilt for having been in financial trouble, and because I figure they don't attack people out of the phone book - there must be SOMETHING - I wonder. But I did not find any way to find out. When I DV these people, they just sell me. They don't validate.

Besides my own records - I have no record of this - and Citibank's - I phoned and wrote to them and have a letter saying they have no records going back that far or under that account number, but they can't say it never existed, only that they have no record of it - what else can I do to research this myself?

Keep in mind that any debts from the '90's should never be on your credit reports as they would all be too old to be reported. Meaning, just because something isn't on your credit report doesn't mean it doesn't/never existed.

By the same token, not every creditor reports to the bureaus even for current obligations.

I understand your predicament to an extent and even though I see it all the time, I am constantly amazed at how people often don't keep their financial records in order. :)

It's sad really...with a PC and a copy of Quicken, the average consumer can potentially keep better/more detailed financial records today than a multi-billion business could have not so very long ago yet people seem to have worse personal record habits today han they did a century ago!

To be fair, if someone believes something was paid off/closed over a decade ago, why would they maintain records?

Belief isn't proof.

Records of paid debts should be maintained FOREVER and that's especially true if there was any sort of contentious situation and/or the debt was paid after having gone into default.

Those who don't keep such records will always be at the mercy of those who do or who are willing to fabricate/lie (such as JDBs) about the status of a debt.