Just Getting Started and not sure where to start!

justaillusion

Hello all,

Ok so I almost made a huge mistake by paying a debt to a CA that isn't on my credit report.

There are so many things that I need to learn and was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction. (There is so much info on here and just want to get started without reading everything that doesn't apply to me just yet) This debt is from a motorcycle and they've never even came to get it (weird) anyways I want to pay it off. Here's my question on my credit report I have the OC on it with it "Potentially negative closed" and comments saying "transferred to another lender or claim purchased" along with the CA having it also as a "potentially negative closed" account as well. But a different CA that isn't on my credit report has sent me a letter that says they have my account now and that's who I almost paid. As you know I'd like to pay off this debt along with trying to get my credit report straightened up the best I can. Any other information you need from me that can help me out will be given besides the account #'s =) Thank you so much in advance.

Before you pay anything to anybody you need to properly vet any CA contacting you...at a minimum you need to know precisely who now owns the debt (if it isn't the original creditor); you need to know how much you owe and how the figure was arrived at and you need to know that the CA contacting has actually been retained by the current creditor to act on their behalf.

You start that process by the Dispute/validation process.

That process is what you should read up on and when you are ready, craft a letter that addresses your specific situation.

All correspondence you send should be CMRRR (or at least allow proof of delivery) and any agreement you ultimately work out must be in writing.