Forcing Transunion to investigate inquiries

transam

Like many people I had random inquiries I never authorized on my account, some due to fraudulent accounts.

Solution:

Equifax: go to their online system, hit dispute (6 at a time) and they are all gone in hours.

Experian: put a fraud alert on my file (I had fraudulent accounts), sent a letter to fraud department demanding investigation. They are now being investigated in EX backdoor and I'll have results in 2 weeks.

Transunion: FA+letter=generic we don't remove inquiries response.

So, correct me if I'm wrong but the following excerpt from the FCRA means that any information I dispute MUST be investigated.

§ 611. Procedure in case of disputed accuracy [15 U.S.C. § 1681i](a) Reinvestigations of Disputed Information(1) Reinvestigation Required( A) In general. Subject to subsection (f), if the completeness or accuracy of anyitem of information contained in a consumer's file at a consumer reportingagency is disputed by the consumer and the consumer notifies the agencydirectly, or indirectly through a reseller, of such dispute, the agency shall, freeof charge, conduct a reasonable reinvestigation to determine whether thedisputed information is inaccurate and record the current status of the disputedinformation, or delete the item from the file in accordance with paragraph (5),before the end of the 30-day period beginning on the date on which theagency receives the notice of the dispute from the consumer or reseller.

I'm about to send another letter, this time to transunion's CA address rather than their PA address citing the above reference asking for an investigation of the unquiries, rather than removal of them.

Question is, does the above mean what I think it means? Also if I get another generic response back am I only looking at a $1k lawsuit, if even that?

It says "any info", they should do their jobs and if they can't then they should delete them.

So, correct me if I'm wrong but the following excerpt from the FCRA means that any information I dispute MUST be investigated.

§ 611. Procedure in case of disputed accuracy [15 U.S.C. § 1681i](a) Reinvestigations of Disputed Information(1) Reinvestigation Required( A) In general. Subject to subsection (f), if the completeness or accuracy of [B][I][U][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Red"]anyitem of information [/COLOR][/FONT][/U][/I][/B]contained in a consumer's file at a consumer reportingagency is disputed by the consumer and the consumer notifies the agencydirectly, or indirectly through a reseller, of such dispute, the agency shall, freeof charge, conduct a reasonable reinvestigation to determine whether thedisputed information is inaccurate and record the current status of the disputedinformation, or delete the item from the file in accordance with paragraph (5),before the end of the 30-day period beginning on the date on which theagency receives the notice of the dispute from the consumer or reseller.

QUOTE]

Question is, does the above mean what I think it means? Also if I get another generic response back am I only looking at a $1k lawsuit, if even that?

You should be able to sue for $1,000 per violation.

FCRA is $1,000 per violation (section 616). FDCPA is $1,000 per action.

How convincing are you?, is the real question. And will the courts buy you argument? Good luck.