Some quick advice or suggestions?

jetscarbie

In 05, I got a Cingular phone while in Kentucky working. 2 weeks later I came back to Ohio and got the phone number switched over. Cingular charged me 150 termination fee.???? I fought with them for a couple of days b/c I didn't cancel the phone...I just switched numbers. I guess billing comes from 2 seperate states...one in Ky, one in Ohio.

So I finally cancelled. (I'm pretty sure it was within the 30 days)

Have heard nothing for awhile.

Then in 07, Midland billed me. I sent them a nice DV and heard nothing. Then in Jan 09, a "local" collection company sent me a bill. I sent them a DV...and my DV also told them where Midland still had not validated this debt.

Well, yesterday, this local company sends me our cingular contract and the last bill.

I checked this local company out in the local courts....and they do sue lots of people every couple of months. 100's of people.....for small amounts to. So I know being sued is a good possibility.

I have no documents of any of my cingular stuff from 05. So what would be the best step at this point? I'm pretty sure they won't settle and they seem to have the paperwork....and I'm not 100% confident about the "cancelled in 30 days"????

any advice?

Jetscarbie,

I happen to work for a utility auditing company and we work with electric companies and phone companies to get refunds for our clients (Large Cities) that have been overcharged. All electric companies and phone companies have records of all your files and all you have to do is call them or fax them to get the records. Look up their customer service phone number and call them to ask for copies of your payment history and the records that show the dates you started service and cancelled service. I think they have to by law give you these records. (See the Public Utility Commission.)

Utility companies overcharge people and companies ALL THE TIME. It may be on accident or it may be on purpose.

Anyways, after you get all your records that prove they overcharged you, send cingular customer service a letter requesting they remove the charges and include the backup documents. Keep a copy of the letter. Call them a month later to see if they have done anything. After that call them every week, or everyday until they change it.

If you have proof they overcharged you, they have to change it. If they don't change it, it is fraud. :mrgreen:

I can't post links yet because im a newbie, but google california public utilities commission, they have a lot of good info for consumers.

Well, as Deanna has said, AT&T is the devil.

First, my suggestion is to call AT&T/Cingular at whatever customer service number you can find. Inform the rep that you want to speak with someone in the Office of the President.

(Note: This is a joke. The Office of the President is essentially high level reps in each call center, but they are more powerful than other reps.)

If they refuse, notify them that you will be filing an FCC violation if you do not get this matter resolved. If they still refuse, ask for the address, leave your phone number, and hang up.

As a note, cell phone companies in almost all states are not actually considered part of public utilities. They tend to fall more under FCC for rules.

Anyway, once you do get a chance to talk to an OOP rep (and if you don't discuss the situation any further with the baseline rep, there is a good chance this will happen *VERY* quickly), basically outline the situation. Ask for copies of the contract, billing statements, etc.

Usually, the OOP reps are so happy to get someone reasonable, they that tend to be fairly nice to people who are. If that is not the experience you have, or if noone contacts you, file a complaint with the FCC. Those OOP reps *HATE* dealing with FCC complaints, and will usually try to avoid them.

Good luck, Jets!

Then in 07, Midland billed me. I sent them a nice DV and heard nothing. Then in Jan 09, a "local" collection company sent me a bill. I sent them a DV...and my DV also told them where Midland still had not validated this debt.

Well, yesterday, this local company sends me our cingular contract and the last bill.

But I thought Midland had to validate before somebody else took over. Or does this new CA have the right since they sent me validation?

Anyway you look at it you are kewl with the SOL being only 2 years on a cell phone, kindly remind the cA of that in your next DV to prevent them from suing and claiming a 'bonafide error'. Tell em if they sue knowingly it could be construed by the court as a frivoulous lawsuit meaning ---sanctions---