Tea Party!

JustaTexan

http://www.news-journal.com/news/content/news/stories/2009/04/16/04162009_tea_party.html

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Anti-tax-protests/ss/events/us/041509teaparties

Here's a link to my local area party location. The second link is some AP photo shots. My Dad and a few co-workers went and said there were thousands of people there.

I saw an AP photo of a little girl holding up a sign that said "get your hand out of my piggybank" or something to that effect. I thought that was just hilarious.

Did anybody go to their local Tea Party?

Hmm, the restriction on political discussions makes this nearly impossible to discuss.

I'll just say this. I think the majority of protesters don't even really know what they're protesting. Those interviewed alternated between complaining about income tax hikes that haven't happened to Obama's big spending to Obama's birth certificate and african heritage, to the lack of religion in the current administration.

My favorite sign of the day, personally, was from the counter protesters "Where were YOU when Bush was spending billions to "liberate" Iraq?"

Yeah umm okay. This thread didn't have to go political. But I guess it just did huh?

I believe the majority of the protestors are complaining about the bailout money not his African heritage. :roll:

I think alot of people, on both sides, are getting fed up.

How did you expect it to not go political? The event, by definition, was a political event.

That's like posting a thread about a kkk meeting and expecting no one to talk about race issues.

I'm talking about mud-slinging. It didin't have to go like that. :roll:

We could have just had a few jokes over some of the funny signs and kept it light-hearted.

By the way-there have been plenty of threads lately about the bail-out and taxes, etc. that have NOT gone overly political but it only takes one ugly post to ruin an entire thread.

How did you expect it to not go political? The event, by definition, was a political event.

That's like posting a thread about a kkk meeting and expecting no one to talk about race issues.

That's not exactly true. You took the thread off topic with your response. Keep your political views to yourself.

I think these events are wonderful. Spending tomorrow's money to keep the debt merry-go-round spinning today is horrific. These people are at least aware of it. Current tax burdens are a problem...but they're the tip of the iceberg by necessity. We've ramped spending up so high that taxes will soar if we don't want to annihilate the dollar. Either way, the US loses.

Financially, this is 10 Iraq wars and one Great Depression all rolled into one. We've gone from someone who was using the U.S. credit card (bad) to someone who kicked the doors in at the U.S. Treasury and robbed the joint (suicidal). I would hope that the majority of people reading a thread on a credit repair site would quickly see massive balance sheet insolvency in combination with enormous negative cashflow and ramped up foreign borrowing is neither advantageous nor sustainable. The US federal gov't is starting to look like GM. Something has gotta give.

Don't mistake this for political. It is Accounting 101, regardless of party or affiliation.

I've observed, out of both parties, it's easy to be the party of fiscal restraint and responsibility when you the one's who are NOT in control of Congress. I suspect that's not going to change until we have Constitutionally mandated Congressional term limits. Oh, and there's plenty o' blame for the American people. After all, we continue to elect and re-elect leaders who are willing to spend our children's and grandchildren's money.

I didn't attend a Tea Party, but was there in spirit.

Term Limit AND/OR Balanced Budget Amendment AND/OR the dollar loses reserve currency status until they back it in gold AND/OR interest rates skyrocket when creditors (ie Asia and Middle East) turn their nose up at buying more of our growing debt).