whocares

Would you move to save money or for work ?

I moved here 4 years ago, people still can rent a house for 250.00 a month...

I don't understand why someone would stay someplace and be evicted or foreclosed on when they could move elsewhere?

This is not amied at anyone here, Please don't take it that way.

I have been researching the foreclosure boom and seems people do not realize they can survive in other areas...I know friends and family issues, but I have moved far away several times.

I have been able to not only start my own business, but I also work for a great company that fits me well...

Many people think there is no work in rural areas and maybe in some areas theirs not...but here a family can survive in min wage and still have a decent life.

• Like 1

True. And the migration is occurring. I read somewhere that California has seen the highest amount of people leaving the state in history over the past 24 months. Now that bubbles are deflating, realistic salaries are setting in (remember when 25 yr old mortgage brokers were yanking in $250k???), and high cost areas are burdensome. New York is about to see the same thing as people can no longer afford to live in an area with average condo prices above $900,000.

The problem for many is they can't move because they're trapped in their home. If you are underwater on your home, you don't have many good options if you want to pack up and move to a lower cost area. And the high cost areas are where home prices dropped the most.

And you bring up a good point about the ridiculous idea of a national minimum wage. States or even local governments should determine this. $6/hr in rural Alabama is certainly not the same as $6/hr in Chicago or San Francisco area.

And yes I would move for money or work. Your time and relationships are the most important factors not the shingles, drywall, and 2x4s.

• Like 1

Lots of people move for work. That's how I got to Wisconsin in the first place. I got a job here. I'm still with the same company. The pay is pretty bad compared to NYC, but the housing costs are lower and the commute is a lot shorter. In NYC, it took me over an hour each way. Now, I sometimes go home for lunch, or I pick up the kids from school during my lunch break.

I'm from Louisiana (born and raised all my life) but moved to 15yr SOL Ohio 10 years ago for work.

Back home, you could rent a home cheap....but most jobs paid you cheap. So it basically evens out. Cheap home, cheap pay....living paycheck to paycheck.

Live in Ohio.....Homes are more expensive...but pay is better....living paycheck to paycheck. hahaha

We paid 223,000 for our home here....we could have got the same home there for 50,000.

But the schools suck big time in La...way better here in Ohio

I did just that - I moved from Texas back to Kansas to get back on my feet and I thank god every day that I did. I am a causality of the telecom/internet boom and went from $65/hr to $2.13/hr as a waitress. I look back at the rent I paid for a one bedroom apartment and it seems absurd to me now. I spent three weeks without electricity because I had to either pay rent or my electricity bill. Good times.

I had to pay for my mistakes, still am (2 derogs!), but I have built myself back up slowly. I am back in my industry, purchased my first home as a single person and haven't paid a bill late in five years!!