I am on someone's AmExcard as an authorized user

KCG116

And they won't tell me who's account it is!

I found out because they in the inquiries section of my credit report it listed Amex pulling my account for an "account review' yet I have no account with them!

They refuse to tell me who's name the card is in or to cancel it apparently..

What do I do?

And why are they even pulling MY credit if I am only an authorized user?

And they won't tell me who's account it is!

I found out because they in the inquiries section of my credit report it listed Amex pulling my account for an "account review' yet I have no account with them!

They refuse to tell me who's name the card is in or to cancel it apparently..

What do I do?

And why are they even pulling MY credit if I am only an authorized user?

Re: Acct#’s XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

To Whom It May Concern:

I noticed that you are reporting the referenced account on my credit report, even though I am only an authorized user. This is a violation of the FCRA and I respectfully request that you remove this listing immediately.

According to section 603 of the FCRA, only information on credit issued to a consumer is allowed. If you are an authorized user, you do not fall under these categories, you are not responsible for the debt and did not receive credit. An authorized user doesn't have credit on this account and it's only the signor that is responsible. So, in essence, if an account on which you are an authorized user shows up on your report, it would be someone else's credit (the signor on the account). Here's the exact text to which I refer:

FCRA Section § 603. Definitions; rules of construction [15 U.S.C. § 1681a] (what credit lines can be reported).

means , that they gave Credit to X based on Thier Credit worth, NOT yours.. means The person who got the Credit in the first place , Agrees to pay your charges. when they added you as a user( common for a parent to do )

Costco is REALLY sneaky about this, they are in with AMEX, and belive it or not Thier "agreement" says if you want a authorized user AMEX CAN sue them for any balance,And report on thier CR, without their ( AU) permission!, my agrument would be the "orignial " person who opened the account has no rights to sign or "assign" YOUR rights to anyone..make AMEX Prove you gave them "rights" to pull anything on you..YOU did not sign the CC agreement,,

Costco huh?

Well that explains it. I was on someone's Costoco card that has an Amex card...

Mystery solved-but yes I never agreed to this or signed anything..I was just supposed to be on the Costco membership account, not Amex...

Thanks!

Costco huh?

Well that explains it. I was on someone's Costoco card that has an Amex card...

Mystery solved-but yes I never agreed to this or signed anything..I was just supposed to be on the Costco membership account, not Amex...

Thanks!

Amex will "auto renew" Costco memberships, if you have a costco nearby, stop and ask for the Amex app

• 2 months later...

This is not due to Costco...I am NOT on that person's account according to AMEX..

I not only want it removed but just or even more importantly I want to know WHOSE account I am on, since when and how I got there...

This is a really bizarre area of credit law. Technically there is nothing to stop me nominating Osama Bin Laden as an authorized user on my credit card and having a card bearing that name delivered to me. Imagine the chaos that would ensue if I then booked a flight with that card!!!!

Equally I could add Barrack Obama. I imagine I would get a heck of an upgrade if I used that card to book at room at the 4 seasons :p

Actually there is something to stop you..

In the past when I added someone to my accounts EVERY card demanded their SS number which they verified and if they could not would not add that per person as an authorized user...

Amex tries to hold authorized users responsible for charges all the time, even though it is not illegal to my understanding...

That is a common misconception.

Some instituions may require it as part of their internal procedures but, A social security number is not a legal requirement to open a credit card or a banking account.

I was an AU on my wifes CC's and also opened bank accounts in my own name way before I even had a SS number issued to me.

• 4 weeks later...
That is a common misconception.

Some instituions may require it as part of their internal procedures but, A social security number is not a legal requirement to open a credit card or a banking account.

I was an AU on my wifes CC's and also opened bank accounts in my own name way before I even had a SS number issued to me.

I'm not sure that's true any longer (as far as bank accounts go).

Don't changes made in the law/new law over the past few years, because of terrorist concerns), now require banks and similar institutions to jump through more hoops then they used to when it comes to properly identifying a new account holder?

Perhaps an SSN is not required but I without one I suspect they need more than just a name. :)

The USA PATRIOT Act requires a social security number to open a bank account. If you don't have one, you are supposed to be in the process of getting one. You'll also need a good bit of information and supporting documents. Two notable exceptions: 1. Canadians can generally get by with a valid Canadian Passport and a Social Insurance Number. (There is a reciprocity agreement between US-Canada.) 2. International Students studying at universities due to similar reciprocity agreements.

Mexicans generally CANNOT get by with a Mexican Passport, nor can they get by with a Matricula Consular card. (Just in case, you've never been to a Wal-Mart in Southern California on a Friday, you would know that illegals have a hard-time opening up bank accounts, yet they have little problem procuring paychecks and Uncle Wally is happy to cash them at $3-$5 a pop)

Further, in the event you are able to open a bank account without a social security number, either by branch override, or by any other policy, your account is subject to intense internal scrutiny from the bank's regulatory risk management, and possibly from OFAC, depending on circumstance.

The ID requirements and regulatory processes increase if you wish to open a brokerage account...

I was an AU on my wifes CC's

AU's are not responsible for the bill. As long as the cardholder agrees to add you as an Auth, then s/he accepts the liability. That's a bit different than opening deposit accounts.

The USA PATRIOT Act requires a social security number to open a bank account. ..............

Ummm no it doesn't. A social security card is not a legal requirement to open a bank account. The PA requires ID. And that is more to do with money laundering and revenue protection than the terra threat.

Write to them and say you are not an authorized user on any Amex account so far as you aware and have no business relationship with them nor have you have applied for credit with them. Tell them to either prove to you that they have a permissible purpose for pulling your credit or you will sue them.

They will either give you the info you request or they wont and based on what they do/do not do, you then have to decide if you want to sue or not. :dunno:

Ummm no it doesn't. A social security card is not a legal requirement to open a bank account. The PA requires ID. And that is more to do with money laundering and revenue protection than the terra threat.

Ummm... take it one step further. It requires ID. The specific ID that it requires would be nearly impossible to obtain without a SSN. If you want to be a pedantic a$$ or argue technicalities, then whatever...

Sure, you can get around disclosing your SSN (assuming you have one) to a bank or brokerage (if you do this, they'll get it anyway and add it to their files later).

The real point is: one would find it very difficult to merely walk into a bank and open an account without having an SSN (or without the capability of getting an SSN within a few months). And, further, in the event you are able to open an account without an SSN, your account is not a "normal" account. That is, it's a temporary account and becomes reviewed regularly by the bank's regulatory risk and potentially by OFAC.

You are totally wrong on this issue. It is neither being a pedantic a$$ or talking about any technicalities, it is simply being factual. You might want to check up on it before so vociferously and incorrectly asserting a falsehood as fact.

I see this myth appear on various boards all the time, more usually on immigration boards than debt boards. Where and why the myth has evolved from I have no clue but it is just that; a myth.

Lots of people who do not have social security numbers and indeed who are not entitled to have social security numbers nor will they ever be entitled to have a social security number open bank accounts in the USA every day without any difficulty.

It may be that some small banks have internal rules and procedures that require a SS # (in particular small and rural/regional institutions) but they are not based on any legal requirement under the patriot act.

A passport or a state issued or foreign driving licence is adequate ID (amongst a long list of other documents) to open an account and comply with the Patriot Act positive ID requirements. An ITIN will also do nicely.

It is definitely a "normal account" whatever you may mean by that. Go check the SS website and see what they have to say on the matter unless of course they also are being pedantic?

Bank of America amongst others will even give you a credit card without a social security number. :shock:

And here is the kicker, as an immigrant I had no difficulty at all in opening two accounts at different banks long before I had been issued with a social security number. Indeed the first one was opened when I did not even reside in the USA.

I promise you I am not a technicality, pedantic a$$ I am not so sure but there again the devil is in the detail ;)

You're not quite correct. Your own anecdotal experience is lacking the devilish details that you think you know. For, "...it's not what you don't know that hurts you... what really puts a hurtin on is is what you know for sure that just isn't so"

This is one of those things that you just don't know. I've done extensive work designing and reviewing bank filters before and after 9/11. In the event that you are able to open an account without SSN, an alert is placed on your account, and your account is more closely scrutinized. Further, the account itself is "temporary"...

I don't know why I feel the need to correct you so vigilantly; it's a personality flaw, I think. Regardless, I have no more time to waste on you.

The detail is in the wording of the Act itself. Sometimes silence speaks louder than bluster. I note that you have yet to provide a link to the actual wording that supports your position. That of course would prove somewhat problematical wouldn't it? Unless you are suggesting that Bank of America, Citizens Bank, HSBC, Wells Fargo and others are breaking the law on a daily basis with impunity. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

America and Americans

The truth is that America is one of the very few countries where you are not required by law to provide proof of person.

You do have to have a drivers license to drive but did you know that when pulled over a cop my ask for your drivers lic. As a way to verify who you are but you are actually not obligated to show it?

By not showing it you force the cops to have to verify your person in some other way, that's why we so willing hand it over....who wants to be hauled off and finger printed over a speeding ticket.

In addition after the patriot act you do have to provide proof of person, once again social security numbers are often used for convience but aren't actually required.

Its sad how many previously held rights america and americans had were so quickly signed away from fear.

People keep in mind in the history of america the whole social security number is a realitvely new thing and was NEVER INTENDED TO BE USED LIKE IT NOW IS.

Very sad.

You can get bank accounts without ssn I have relatives who had temp. Work visas and us bank accounts.

The truth is there's more than one way to catch a goat.

There's no need in getting upset and arguing

There's room for more than one opinion in the sandbox

And OP I think you need to file id theft papers against amex, this will force them to show you paperwork, then sue the hell out of them if they put you as a AU.

Please don't give up or let the quibbles dissuade you.

Go to police station, file the paperwork, send it to amex, get info.

If it wasn't you or you didn't agree to be on account, hire lawyer, sue, call news organization tell them what happened, this is embarassing to amex they will want to settle faster, play up the fear of americans its a huge motivator, cash you settlement check, go on vaykay!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To answer as many of you as possible, I will do this in two parts or it will be too long:

First more basic info...

1. In the past, whether it's the law or not, every credit card company I ever dealt with demanded a social security number for authorized users. I know this because I one point I was put on a relatives cards temporarily while I was caring for her so that I could grocery shop etc. Without providing the SS number, they refused to add me to her cards-again allowed by law or not it is "their policy"...

So first of all, WHERE did AMEX get my SS number without the original cardholder providing it?

(Yes I know they can get them so I actually pose the question to AMEX of where THEY got my info illegally...)

2. Someone said don't charge any more to the card-that person did not read carefully-I NEVER HAD THE CARD TO CHARGE TO!!!! I can't charge on a card I don't possess and never have...

AGAIN, I DON'T KNOW whose ACCOUNT IT IS WHICH IS PART OF THE PROBLEM!

3. Costco-as far as getting the application, since it is NOT my account they will not give ME a copy of anyone else's application...

Also, as I said, the person whose Costco account I am on called AMEX and was told that I am NOT an authorized user on his Costco AMEX card so that is NOT where the problem lies...

4. As far as AMEX suing authorized users-I was threatened by them before over a previous job I had. My employer had given me a card on his account to charge supplies and things for the company (no personal expenses of my own-no meals, hotels or anything of the like-I mean like industrial supplies..). I left the company and several months later I get a bill from AMEX to the tune of I don't remember exact figures but $15000-$18000.

I called them to be told that the bill had not been paid by the company, that I made the charges and that I to pay it...(I was in college at the time, that job was p/t and I had next to NO money). They claimed that in the "agreement that came with the card" I was responsible for any charges I made. I explained to them that whatever "agreement" was sent was mailed to MY BOSS not me and that I therefore knew nothing about it and had agreed to no such terms.

I later got a letter from legal threatening collections, a lawsuit and the ruin of my own personal credit.

I had to go to a lawyer to deal with them. They provided nothing to prove I had agreed to be responsible and would not even prove that the bill was owed...That incident cost me more in legal fees than I had made at the job.

They went away, acting as if they were doing me a grand favor by doing so..

MY "punishment" was that they then canceled the three accounts I had with them personally, even though my own accounts had a perfect track record.

5. In the past, if you were an authorized user on someone's account, that account would show up on your credit as a tradeline and could boost your credit score. When that law was changed, I imagine their right to pull the authorized user's credit was also...

Now I will explain what has happened with this situation next post.

Now this situation:

1. I wrote to AMEX last year I believe over this situation.

The response was a cold letter back including a copy of my own letter stating to dispute the inquiries with the credit agencies.

Now they know damn well the CA's don't dispute inquiries even if they are supposed to legally. In reality, they refuse.

The bigger issue of not knowing whose account I was/am on was ignored completely!

2. I wrote a second letter to them explaining this is not just a credit report issue, that my bigger concern is identity theft etc., that I need to know who/how I ended up on someone's account, that I did not authorize it and that I needed to know who it is and how I got there besides the credit reports being fixed.

I received NO response in return.

3. I finally called AMEX, was transferred many times and finally reached someone who told me yes my SS number IS attached to someone's account. They would not confirm if I was an authorized user, a joint account holder etc. They said all they could do is cancel the card and claimed they did.

However, they REFUSED to give me the actual account number and told me I would have to take up the inquiries issue with that department, which was closed for the day. When I told them what happened, they gave me the (expletive YOU) attitude of well we can't can't help you we just work here...

4. The next day I received an email from them confirming quote "your account number ending in xxxx was closed per your request" and listed the day before.

MY ACCOUNT NUMBER? I DID NOT HAVE AN ACCOUNT!

NOW GET THIS:I NEVER GAVE AMEX MY EMAIL ADDRESS SO WHERE DID THEY GET IT ???

5. So the next month comes and you guessed it.. MORE INQUIRIES!!! Old ones still there and new ones...

AND CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY THEY ARE PULLING MY CREDIT EVERY MONTH???

6. I have not pursed this matter further since then because I have been overwhelmed with other issues of much more importance...But yes I will have to address it soon..

If anyone else has had similar issue you don;t want to post please write me privately. I need all the help I can get on this.

I am in NYC and finding lawyers here is not easy as they are all overextended with the extreme number of cases that go on here and many represent the collection agencies themselves, as there is more money in it for them...

• 1 year later...

Well, it's a good thing you found out before someone did even more damage with your personal information. I'd say... the best thing is to be sure to get identity theft protection. You may not think so, but you are lucky it's only a cosco card and not a real credit card or that someone didn't purchase a house in your name. God forbid. But, if you need additional information about id theft protection, let me know. I'm sure I can help.

More has happened with this but I am too upset and fed up to bother going into more detail.

I have looked into the ID theft services...

I am in NY where there ID Theft Service guarantees if you have issues like this do not apply according to NY law, apparently...

A lot more damage has been done besides these accounts...

It's been a nightmare attempting to get information and even piece even some of it together...

And it may go back in time much farther than I ever could imagine.

At this rate, I may never find out all that was done in my name, when etc. because I have not been able to spend more than a few hours on it here and there the past few years...and none of these places want to give out the information to me that may help..

And so far, I have been told over and over that there is no one place I can look to find out if there has been property bought in my name, mortgages taken out, etc...and what makes it worse is some of the people search sites online I have put my name into come back showing there are few hundred people with my same first and last name in the U.S. so even if I saw a property listed somewhere with my name, it may just be someone else with my same name...

So I have just been filing individual complaints with the state, FTC etc. as much as I can, little by little..

Hopefully, no huge disaster will hit me upside the head over this...like someone getting arrested and using my info etc., as I have seen on TV has

happened to people.

Also, I don't know if whoever this is has stopped or is still at it..