Loca

A few newbie questions

Hello everyone,

I have spent the last 6 hours reading through this forum and getting my credit reports etc. Great informations here - a heaven sent!

A quick history... I was previously married to a bum. My credit is tarnished because of that marriage. Not horrible, but my scores are 561, 563 and 596 - I don't remember who is what at the moment.

I am divorced and married to a new wonderful man for 2 years now. We are starting to plan our ultimate future - looking for our property to buy is the main goal. We are currently working in Iraq as civilians to make the money we need to in order to achieve our goals.

Most of the things on my credit are OLD - I think 2 of them will hit their 7 year mark the end of this year, beginning of next and most of them are small amounts - $100-$300 maybe a few a tad higher. I have a few bad student loans for $800, $1200, and $2000, which are obviously updating every month.

I have started paying the small ones off which isn't a big deal due to the amount of money we're making, but I am ignorant with credit and I found that #1 they don't REMOVE these when you pay them, just update them as paid and #2 they LOWERED my score once they were updated.

I came across this site and I saw in one of the stickies - forgive me, I have forgetten who wrote it - it said it is better to dispute them than to pay them. It also said to dispute ALL the negatives.

If I call the(here goes my try at the forum lingo)CRA and try to dispute them ALL what reason do I give them. In fact, 3 lines on my report have NO CA or contact info, can't be reached(number changed maybe - I tried to google them to no avail), or have gone out of business.

I would really like someone with credit experience to give me some insight on all of this. I need to get this all cleaned up as soon as humanly possible to start the process of buying property.

Thanks in advance!

PS. I have 0 active/current revolving accounts - all of my credit is old/negative because I have not even applied to get any in over 5 years because of my horrible past. Again, it is all "small" things though.

- Don't pay anything unless you're absolutely backed into a corner or have a rock-solid promise (in writing) that the items will be deleted. You probably won't find anyone that'll put that promise in writing unless you're dealing with a very small-time, local CA/JDB because doing so violates their reporting agreement with the CRAs. I'm an old hand at getting info deleted and have probably used 5 or 6 methods to do so--but I've never, ever paid. I've had to money and the will to do so, but the problem is that by paying, the TL is then updated, which means the clock resets and it'll stay on my CR as a derog for another 7 years! The system is broken since it punishes people for making good on their debts. So it's just part of the game you have to play.

- If your student loans are federally backed, you're going to want to deal with them ASAP. They won't magically go away like a lot of the other stuff on your CR. That's one of the few things that you absolutely must pay (tax liens, being another example).

- You never, ever call CRAs, you either use the online dispute process that they each have on their website or (preferably) certified mail. What reason do you give? "I have no knowledge of this account; it does not appear to belong to me." Sure, it might sound suspicious to claim that about every bad account you have, but keep in mind that CRA's employ semi-trained monkeys to handle disputes.

- Once you get some of the easier crap knocked off your CR, start applying for "starter" credit cards. The lack of active accounts is probably killing your FICO. From what you've said, I'd guess that your CR probably looks like my wife's used to. I was able to get her from 550-ish to 730-ish in about six months, and a large part of that was re-establishing good credit after dusting off some rather old, crusty, and easy to remove baddies.

- Stay safe abroad and good luck to you!

Thanks for that information!

I was just about to make a new thread but since you brought it up I will continue here. I use Identity Guard and I was playing with the credit analyzer toy they have and if I get a CC my scores will go up about 25 points. Now I doubt that I will qualify for an unsecured CC, but if I get a secured card will it report the same (as a CC)?

Also, another quick question. The accounts that I have already "satisfied" (hate that term) are they hopeless to get off my CR now? I have paid off maybe 4-6 of them in the last 2 months and some already read Paid-Derogetory.

Also, another quick question. The accounts that I have already "satisfied" (hate that term) are they hopeless to get off my CR now? I have paid off maybe 4-6 of them in the last 2 months and some already read Paid-Derogetory.

Nope. Just dispute as normal. Rinse and repeat. A lot of the time they won't bother to verify since they already have their money. If that doesn't work, try a GW letter to a C-level exec at the information furnisher (CA/JDB). "The reason this account went to collections was because <short, but believable sob story>. Once I realized my error, I worked as quickly as possible with your company to bring the account current. I know your company has no interest in harming my credit, so I'd appreciate it if you'd consider deleting the account from my credit report, etc, etc..." Make the GW letter (or email) pointed, short, and polite, but be sure to ask for a specific course of action. I had this work with a well-known--and well-despised--JDB on the wife's CR after numerous disputes failed.

shortbus is right.....Take care of the student loans first. They won't go away and you need to get into a repayment plan with them ASAP. Most place will let you repay on time a certain number of payments....then they will bring your account up to "good". That would improve your scores a lot right there.

As far as your credit report....I think from how old you said some of these debts were...in your state...it looks like SOL may apply to some of them. First off, I would dispute the oldest debts on your CR. Write the letter and send it CMRRR to the CRA's and wait the 30 or so days to hear back (they should also send you a new updated report when they send your results back) Then, as short bus said, rinse and repeat. (haha I like that term for credit repairing)

It helped me to get a huge poster board and make a detailed chart of all my debts, who holds them, what CRA's it's listed with...and everytime I sent anything or recieved anything...I would put a mark on my poster board. Everytime something was deleted...it was marked off my poster board.

BUT during all this...you need to put a few positive on your CR. Check the forum obtaining credit cards. There is a sticky that tells what your score needs to be to get "what" card. Personally I think...open a secured card at a credit union. Maybe take out a secured loan there also (gives good boost to your credit) Maybe open a Crown Jewelry's account. The jewerly is so-so but they usually give you a 1500 dollar credit line. Start putting good on your CR.

Others chime in if I'm wrong, but the dispute reasons would be like this:

if you're trying to remove a 30-60-90 day late from an original creditor dispute is as NEVER LATE.

For a collection account (paid or unpaid) dispute it as NOT MINE, that way if they don't verify it it gets dropped altogether.

and yes, try not to pay unless you have a pfd (pay for delete) in writing. Think of it as paying someone to do a job - you don't pay until the work is done, never pay upfront.

mycorrado.

- Don't pay anything unless you're absolutely backed into a corner or have a rock-solid promise (in writing) that the items will be deleted. You probably won't find anyone that'll put that promise in writing unless you're dealing with a very small-time, local CA/JDB because doing so violates their reporting agreement with the CRAs. I'm an old hand at getting info deleted and have probably used 5 or 6 methods to do so--but I've never, ever paid. I've had to money and the will to do so, but the problem is that by paying, the TL is then updated, which means the clock resets and it'll stay on my CR as a derog for another 7 years! The system is broken since it punishes people for making good on their debts. So it's just part of the game you have to play.

- If your student loans are federally backed, you're going to want to deal with them ASAP. They won't magically go away like a lot of the other stuff on your CR. That's one of the few things that you absolutely must pay (tax liens, being another example).

- You never, ever call CRAs, you either use the online dispute process that they each have on their website or (preferably) certified mail. What reason do you give? "I have no knowledge of this account; it does not appear to belong to me." Sure, it might sound suspicious to claim that about every bad account you have, but keep in mind that CRA's employ semi-trained monkeys to handle disputes.

- Once you get some of the easier crap knocked off your CR, start applying for "starter" credit cards. The lack of active accounts is probably killing your FICO. From what you've said, I'd guess that your CR probably looks like my wife's used to. I was able to get her from 550-ish to 730-ish in about six months, and a large part of that was re-establishing good credit after dusting off some rather old, crusty, and easy to remove baddies.

- Stay safe abroad and good luck to you!

Hi ShortBus, ok I know I'm kind of late, LOL, but I read some of your post and you sound like you know what your talking about when it comes to this credit stuff! I'm planning on buying a house in a few months and I'm working on getting my credit as pretty as I can. I have some OLD stuff that will fall off in about 6-8 months. Should I let them fall off of my credit reports on their own? I'd like to dispute them but I'm very worried that by disputing them it will backfire on me and show up on the reports it's not showing up on. I have some things that are on one report but not on the other two. For example, I have a auto repo from 2003 but it shows on my Experian report as an open account and they have been reporting negatively EVERY MONTH SINCE. The repo was included in bankruptcy in 2003. Other than that I have a foreclosure (from the bankruptcy) that's just as old and will come off Dec 2009. Should I wait and let it fall off on it's own or should I try disputing it? This one also is only on ONE credit report and not the other two. Should I try to dispute it or will I wake sleeping dogs? I'm worried that if I dispute it that it will get readded to the other two credit reports or that the date will get moved up and it will stay on longer. I sent letters and called to dispute a collection account and that backfired on me. Noting happened AND they added it to the report I had it deleted from. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!!!

Hi ShortBus, ok I know I'm kind of late, LOL, but I read some of your post and you sound like you know what your talking about when it comes to this credit stuff! I'm planning on buying a house in a few months and I'm working on getting my credit as pretty as I can. I have some OLD stuff that will fall off in about 6-8 months. Should I let them fall off of my credit reports on their own? I'd like to dispute them but I'm very worried that by disputing them it will backfire on me and show up on the reports it's not showing up on. I have some things that are on one report but not on the other two. For example, I have a auto repo from 2003 but it shows on my Experian report as an open account and they have been reporting negatively EVERY MONTH SINCE. The repo was included in bankruptcy in 2003. Other than that I have a foreclosure (from the bankruptcy) that's just as old and will come off Dec 2009. Should I wait and let it fall off on it's own or should I try disputing it? This one also is only on ONE credit report and not the other two. Should I try to dispute it or will I wake sleeping dogs? I'm worried that if I dispute it that it will get readded to the other two credit reports or that the date will get moved up and it will stay on longer. I sent letters and called to dispute a collection account and that backfired on me. Noting happened AND they added it to the report I had it deleted from. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!!!

::jacked::

Firstly, in the future, I'd recommend that you start a new thread if you have a new topic to discuss. Changing the subject in a thread started by someone else is known as "threadjacking" is considered impolite.

Having said that... How do you know that these items will fall off in 6-8 months? If you're going by the seven year limit, keep in mind that it can actually be up to 7 years + six months to disappear. And that's if everything is working right; it's pretty common for CRAs to "forget" to delete derogs without a little reminder or three.

Disputing info with one CRA is very unlikely (in my experience) to affect your file with the other CRAs. It's possible that an information furnisher (JDB/CA) would get a request to verify and suddenly go "hey, we forgot to report this elsewhere. Thanks for reminding us!" But I've never seen or heard that ever happening.

Disputing doesn't affect the date when a particular TL ages off your CR. The "date of last activity" (DoLA) is what determines that. DoLA is either when you made your last payment, defaulted on the agreement, or (in some states) when you last made a promise to pay. Dispute all you want without worrying that it'll affect that. One thing to look out for though is that some shaddy JDBs will "accidently" fudge the DoLA to perpetually keep an item on your CR. This could possibly happen if you remind them of your existence by disputing. However this practice is called "reaging" is blatantly illegal.

::jacked::

Firstly, in the future, I'd recommend that you start a new thread if you have a new topic to discuss. Changing the subject in a thread started by someone else is known as "threadjacking" is considered impolite.

I'm sorry about the Hi-jack!!! I tried sending a PM but couldn't because I don't have 15 post yet. I thought this was an old thread from 2007 so I thought no one would mind is all. Other wise I would have NEVER don't that. I'm sorry everyone!!!!!!!!!!:oops:

I started a new thread here:

http://www.debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1008061#post1008061

Ok so I called and got my student loan payments set up. This is what they told me. I am in their "program" for $50/mo. After 12 months it will be expunged off my credit and no one will know I was ever in default. GREAT! but... I asked if I could just pay it off (only $2700) and they said it will only reflect as paid... not taken off WHY??? I said wouldn't you guys just want your money??? I guess after the 12 months they send the Ed Loan people notice that I have been paying and they buy back the loan for the remainder of what's left. Until the 12 months is up it will reflect as current on my credit, so I guess that's alright - but I'd really like to just be done with it.

Second, I got a copy of a check from a CA and it is my name but NOT my signature - it has my ex-dumb @$$' drivers license # on it. Can I dispute this with them? He told me that I was still responsible since my name was on the check also. BUT we had been divorced for 10 months already and that account had been closed the same amount of time. What to do about that?

Thanks

So, your ex-hubby wrote a check from an account that was in your name but was closed when he wrote the check? If that's the case you call your local authorities and file a report. Then, you contact the CA, inform them that the check was not written by you, the acct was closed when the check was written and furnish them with a copy of the police report. They are supposed to close the file and cease all collection activity and remove any listing of the account on your credit.

I am currently in Iraq though. My ex was in California, where the check was written, I lived in Alabama at that time and my last name was already changed but he signed it with my last name when I was married to him. The account was a joint account with him but was closed 10 months prior to him writing this bad one, the same time we got divorced. This isn't the first time he's done that, resulting in a lot of the crap on my CR. I don't see how anywhere would let him sign my name yet write his drivers license # down. DUH!

Supposedly they can't take the report because I have to report it where I live. Not where he lives and where the check was written. I am currently in Iraq on top of it all and she said, "I don't know what to tell you to do." This is why I have ignored this stuff for so long. One bump in the road after another... right before a big cliff. xSteaminx

Ok I called them and made a report I guess. They are going to be emailing me an affidavit(sp) and I get it notorized and send it to the CA. She said if I call the CRA's and have them flag my account for fraud that it will hinder me opening any new accounts probably. Just FYI for anyone. Now I get to sort through my report and find all the other crap he's done. I forgot to ask her if the CA has to remove it from my credit once I send them this affidavit though. Anyone know?