Is it possible to settle old medical bills?

Wishmich

I did a search on these forums but can't really find an answer to what I'm looking for.

I've got many county hospital bills in collection back from 2003 and 2004. Collectively they total $2700 and are all at a CA. We got into a medical nightmare, hence the bills, and have never been able to pay them. I thought our situation would get better, but now we're unemployed. I'd like to settle these but can't pay the whole amount. Should I offer to pay a percentage of it and throw in a request to PFD? If so, what percentage should I offer? Should I go to the hospital itself and offer to settle? I want to take care of these and ideally it would be to pay it all in full and get it a PFD. However, I live in Michigan and our unemployment rate is at 12% and my town is close to a ghost town with no employment opportunities in sight.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Of course you can always talk to the hospital directly and try to work out a settlement with them. Usually they settle for 30-40 precent...but your bills are old...so they might be willing to go more. You can try to do a PFD...but ???????? don't know if it would work. It's always worth trying though.

If you are unemployed...why are you worrying about these bills now? They are quite old....check your state laws but SOL may apply to these now. IMO....use the money you would paying these bills and move. Or put this money to other immediate bills.

I'm worrying because I don't want to get sued. The CA calls every single day, 4 or 5 times. I am already stressed out to the max, and getting sued is going to make it all that much worse. It's the only debt we have other than our mortgage. Plus, moving would mean having to rent and we won't be rented to if they check our credit rating. It stinks because all of these medical bills are small but listed separately.

Do you suggest writing to the hospital or calling them?

Hospitals are usually good at working out payment arrangements. I see nothing wrong with calling them. You will probably be passed off to the CA though.

But if they don't work something out with you...you will have to deal with the CA. That's a whole different thing. If you have to work with them....make sure you get everything in writing. Everything. Send them a settlement offer. Or make them send you one.