Who do you bank with?

scorch

I am just curious to see who everyone banks with. Maybe we can compare setups. :p

I have had the wamu free checking account for over a year and I must say, it really is a free checking account. The only time I have been charged any fees was when I over drafted a couple of times. The first one was a freebie. The account includes free checks for life, online bill pay and check images. I have checked into interest bearing checking accounts, but the fees for checks and bill pay with most would cost money, for me anyhow, even with the interest earned.

I used to have my savings account with wamu, but since chase took over, the APY dropped to 0.01% :shock: I now have an online savings account with GMAC. Their APY at the moment is 2.25%. It is not the highest right now, but it still ranks pretty highly.

My wamu checking account is also an ACH originating bank too which means I can transfer funds between the two accounts.

I hope for your sake that it remains free with the Chase bank merger.

I do my banking with BofA. I signed up online for 3 of their MyAccess checking accounts with no monthly fee and no direct deposit requirement. Mobile banking is great. Plenty of locations and high withdrawal limits on my debit cards.

I also bank with WAMU and I love the fact that you get instant credit when you deposit - no hold periods except if the check is larger than $5000. Also they do not split the banking day into before and after 2 pm.

I like that you can wire funds for free too.

I understand that now the new accounts (as of about a month or so ago) are more "Chase" oriented and do not have the free wiring capacity. They probably will tighen up on a couple of other things - but I hope they 'grandfather' all the old WAMU accounts.

I bank with BOA, I know alot of people don't like them. But i haven't had any problems at all (Except a deal of theft which was taken care of immediately),(Been there 15 years). I also have 2 CC with them with excellent limits.

I have a local corner bank checking account. Free ATM usage at a million locations, 4.00% interest untile recently -> now it is 1.75% (still beats ING!). Easy to use website. I do have to pay for checks but I don't write that many so no biggie. My wife has her checking account with another bank. She gets 0% interest but likes their hours so she won't switch.

My wife and I each have our own ING account plus a joint online ING savings account. We have a joint HSBC account with $5 in it. We haven't logged in for about two years. :?

I am with BOFA for my primary checking account and they have been great the last 9 years and two separate identity thefts. They charge me absolutely nothing per month, and my checking, savings, credit cards, and mortgage are all included in their online banking services.

My wife had a check made out to her from a WAMU customer, of course they are now CHASE. We went to CHASE to cash it rather then deposit it in our own account, and they charged us $5 for the service because the check writer's account was with a different branch, and we are not CHASE customers. I told them go ahead and take the $5, and we well NEVER be CHASE customers EVER. Jerks.

Eddie

i've done all my banking, checking and savings, through my local credit union since the early '80's... including 2 new car loans with them over the years. my oldest TL with CRA's is my $5000 credit union overdraft account (my cu doesn't charge me a fee when they honor an overdrafted check, although they charge 9% interest if i carry a balance in the od acct...just like a loan).

for a short time in the mid-to-late '90's, BofA had branches in hawaii, and i had a BofA IRA account (they offered some great promotional incentives when they came to hawaii)... but when they pulled out of hawaii, i rolled the IRA over into my credit union. i have a BofA cc that turns one year old next month.

I am with BOFA for my primary checking account and they have been great the last 9 years and two separate identity thefts. They charge me absolutely nothing per month, and my checking, savings, credit cards, and mortgage are all included in their online banking services.

My wife had a check made out to her from a WAMU customer, of course they are now CHASE. We went to CHASE to cash it rather then deposit it in our own account, and they charged us $5 for the service because the check writer's account was with a different branch, and we are not CHASE customers. I told them go ahead and take the $5, and we well NEVER be CHASE customers EVER. Jerks.

Eddie

I guarantee the same thing would have happened if the situation were reversed and you went to BofA to cash a check as a non-customer.

ORNL Fed Credit Union...been there for probably 5, maybe 6 years now and love it. We have one branch and one lady we deal with and she is a jewel!

We are about to refi our home with them once I get my credit score to par in a few months (fingers crossed)! We've also had two car loans through them as well and never an issue! I love credit unions!!!!!!

Eddie

Funny thing, they charge EVERYONE who is not a Chase customer $5. My minister wrote my hubby and I a check to cover some things we had paid out to our church and it was drawn on Chase. We went to cash it (since the local Chase branch was closer than our bank) and they tried to charge us. We contacted our minister and our church is seriously considering moving their accounts....Any checks our ministers give to people in need of charity acts are costing these people $5!! And it doesn't matter how big the check is...One minister wrote a $15 check to cover someone's medication and Chase STILL charged the $5, even though the minister sent a letter asking them to waive it since it was a charity donation. They refused.

Funny thing, they charge EVERYONE who is not a Chase customer $5. My minister wrote my hubby and I a check to cover some things we had paid out to our church and it was drawn on Chase. We went to cash it (since the local Chase branch was closer than our bank) and they tried to charge us. We contacted our minister and our church is seriously considering moving their accounts....Any checks our ministers give to people in need of charity acts are costing these people $5!! And it doesn't matter how big the check is...One minister wrote a $15 check to cover someone's medication and Chase STILL charged the $5, even though the minister sent a letter asking them to waive it since it was a charity donation. They refused.

Ouch not good at all! I will seriously keep this in mind when doing business in the future...I haven't done any with Chase but this is surely a deterrant.

Thats just wrong. I can cash a payroll check in the ghetto for only $3.49.

Eddie

Crap, I never thought of that. I'm going to ask next time I'm in a BofA branch, which is rare for me.

Eddie

I'm sure BoA does that as well. You have to be customer to cash a check pretty much at any bank or they will charge you for using their services (check cashing).

Key will also charge you $5 if your not a Key bank customer, regardless if its a Key Bank check..

Most banks won't cash other bank checks if you're not already an account holder with them.

• 2 weeks later...

My main bank is BB&T. (checking & savings) I also have savings account at NFCU as I hope to re-fi my car loan there. (also my 2 new CC are with them) I have business account open at small local bank. (Bank of Fincastle) I have checking account at M&T bank. (opened for bank bonus & decided to keep open as the money I put there needs to be accessible immediately but I want kept separate from other household expenses)

I also have these accounts for current bank bonuses:

Bank of America (checking & savings)

Chase (checking)

These will be closed once I receive my bonus.