Mann Bracken LLP Phony "Summons"

mannbrackensux

I had received the initial letter from Mann Bracken LLP informing me that my account had been listed with them for collection. I sent them a DV letter, CMRR, and heard absolutely nothing back from them.

Today, (about 90 days later) I received a "summons" from Mann Bracken LLP, delivered by a police officer. The document I received was questionable at best to being a valid court summons. My reason for that are as follows...

1. They are listing Citibank (South Dakota), N.A. as the Plantiff. Citibank discharged this debt in 2007 after 180 days of delinquency. Therefore, Citibank could not be a valid Plantiff in this case since they no longer own the debt.

2. Nowhere on the documents does it provide contact information for the court or information on filing a response. There is no evidence that this document came from the State of Georgia (no state seal, no stamp of any kind, etc.) There is a hand-written case number on all of the documents.

3. At the bottom of all 3 documents is the following "This is communication from a debt collector. The debt collector is attempting to collect a debt and any information obtained will be used for that purpose."

4. I was never asked to sign anything saying that I was served the documents.

So I present the following questions to the community:

- Is this a valid summons?

- Is this a common (illegal) practice among Man Bracken?

- Has Mann Bracken LLP really filed suit?

- How can I find out if they filed suit?

- How can I confirm the validity of these documents?

- If they did file suit, how should I respond?

- Was I served improperly?

My research about Mann Bracken has led to some pretty unsettling discoveries about them. They don't appear to play by the rules, and I'll need all of the help I can get in dealing with these scumbags.

you don't need to sign anything to be served in most states.. and yes Mann Bracken likes the "shoot fish in a barrel" approach.. they sue for sport.. if you have your ducks in a row make SURE you show up for court.. they may or may not appear.. but a no show is an automatic win and judgement for them..

Also call your county to make sure this was filed with them.... there should be a court date on there someplace

you don't need to sign anything to be served in most states.. and yes Mann Bracken likes the "shoot fish in a barrel" approach.. they sue for sport.. if you have your ducks in a row make SURE you show up for court.. they may or may not appear.. but a no show is an automatic win and judgement for them..

Also call your county to make sure this was filed with them.... there should be a court date on there someplace

Hi Carolina thanks for the response. I'm getting my ducks in order as we speak, I'm definitely not afraid of fighting these guys. I've been examining these documents all day, and there is no court date on here, only a date when it was supposedly filed. I'm going to head down to the courthouse and check the validity of this "summons." Something just doesn't seem right with this. If they didn't file suit I would assume that is borderline illegal to practice such deceptive methods of collection?

I'm still quite new at this, so I would appreciate each and every piece of advice...thanks again!

Get over to BudHibbs.com and click on Americas worst you will find Mann Bracken over there and you can read about them and all their little sneaky illegal tactics

I had to tangle with them a few years ago, tried to sue me way out of the SOL, one VERY nasty letter from my lawyer ended that pronto.. when I called them they said "well we try with everyone we can, they are right.

Had I NOT been educated I would'nt have gone like most and even though they were years out of the SOL they could have won by default.. free money for them.. most consumers do not even know about SOL laws .. they depend on us being idiots

• 2 months later...

This scum collection agency has been known to drive up in an unmarked BLACK car and delivery SO CALLED summons with fake numnbers. A tactic to scare you into paying them. This man ask for Police ID and they had NONE at all. The man told "cop" in a black suite to get off his property bfore i call the real cops!! These low lives are very well known for this type of PERVERSION.

nvassarx

I too would be leary and questionable because of the mini miranda at the bottom. I'm not an expert and am new at all of this credit repair myself, but i would think a authentic lawsuit would not be "attempting" to collect a debt. It would spell out when and where to appear and amount judgement is for.

My wife called me at work yesterday to tell me that a guy came to the door with a summons form Mann Bracken to appear in court. The guys has only a "badge" with the words Maryland courts on it.

It was for a Credit Card from Capital One from 2007. The account was in a closed status and was written off by Capital One in 11/07. I have been reading everyones stories about Mann Braken and I want to fight this.

My first question:

Is it legal to come back after an account is closed and written of by the creditor?

Should I get an attorney?

I am going to the court date and checked with the court house that it is a "real" court date.

I have never had this happen to me before and I an confused on the next steps. Any advise would help.....

My wife called me at work yesterday to tell me that a guy came to the door with a summons form Mann Bracken to appear in court. The guys has only a "badge" with the words Maryland courts on it.

It was for a Credit Card from Capital One from 2007. The account was in a closed status and was written off by Capital One in 11/07. I have been reading everyones stories about Mann Braken and I want to fight this.

My first question:

Is it legal to come back after an account is closed and written of by the creditor?

Should I get an attorney?

I am going to the court date and checked with the court house that it is a "real" court date.

I have never had this happen to me before and I an confused on the next steps. Any advise would help.....

It may be more helpful for you to start a new thread and fill out the template.

You are likely to get more responses than leaving your question in here.

She needs to answer the summons to avoid default judgement is the first piece of information you need. :)++