Collection Agency wants SIGNED AUTHORIZATION TO RELEASE MEDICAL INFO!!!!!!

Trixie

Hello To All,

I'm a newbie & this is my first post in this forum. I recently

sent a letter to a collection agency requesting validation of

a medical debt listed on my all my credit reports. The collection agency sent me a letter with the following :

Per your request, we have verified your debt with the following creditor (name) at (ADDRESS). They have informed us that the information contained in our files is accurate.

If you require a more detailed itemization of charges, please be advised that your itemization may

include personal health information, and we require a signed release to obtain those records.

Please complete the release below and fax it to our office at 614- XXX-XXXX. (Ohio)

AUTHORIZATION TO RELEASE INFORMATION

I hereby authorize (NAME OF CREDITOR) to release any and all information pertaining to the treatment referenced by (collection agency) (ACCT#) as the medical provider,in its sole discretion, may deem fit.

___________________________ Date

Patient, guarantor, or guardian

Collection Agency Name # 113

ACCT # XXXXXX

THIS IS AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT, ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED WILL BE USED FOR THAT PURPOSE.

So, are they serious ? I'm pretty sure I shouldn't sign this,

or is this the only way to get a validation ? Shouldn't they have all this info if they are reporting this legitimately ?

Thanks for your help !!

Hello To All,

I'm a newbie & this is my first post in this forum. I recently

sent a letter to a collection agency requesting validation of

a medical debt listed on my all my credit reports. The collection agency sent me a letter with the following :

Per your request, we have verified your debt with the following creditor (name) at (ADDRESS). They have informed us that the information contained in our files is accurate.

If you require a more detailed itemization of charges, please be advised that your itemization may

include personal health information, and we require a signed release to obtain those records.

Please complete the release below and fax it to our office at 614- XXX-XXXX. (Ohio)

AUTHORIZATION TO RELEASE INFORMATION

I hereby authorize (NAME OF CREDITOR) to release any and all information pertaining to the treatment referenced by (collection agency) (ACCT#) as the medical provider,in its sole discretion, may deem fit.

___________________________ Date

Patient, guarantor, or guardian

Collection Agency Name # 113

ACCT # XXXXXX

THIS IS AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT, ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED WILL BE USED FOR THAT PURPOSE.

So, are they serious ? I'm pretty sure I shouldn't sign this,

or is this the only way to get a validation ? Shouldn't they have all this info if they are reporting this legitimately ?

Thanks for your help !!

PLease read my post about medical collections and Hippa,, DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING about Hippa to a CA..,, a CA MUST have a "business Associate" contract with the OC BEFORE they ever got any PHI on you,, CALL your local HHS ( health and human services AND your Civil rights office) they can tell you more about 45 CFR part160-164) esp 45 cfr 160.103

and hippa disclosures to a CA 45 cfr.502(B) & 164.514(d)

It the CA has claimed they have verification then have they sent it to you? That was the point of your DV right? The CA just saying they have proof is not proof.

I think medical debt is one of the easiest to handle especially once it goes to a CA because they cannot get any info about you.

Did you know that under the HIPPA laws, if your spouse is at the doctor and you know she is there and you call and ask is she still there, you need to talk to her, the doctors office is in violation is they say, yes she's here. HIPPA laws are very tight.

It sounds to me as if they have met the letter of the law (FDCPA) for validating the debt...unless the Federal or local courts in your are have expanded the definition of what constitutes validation; they don't have to send you more.

I would not sign anything with regards to this CA. If you want detailed medical information then you can either deal with the Doctor's office directly to obtain it (probably the best course of action) or you can request the CA to request that the Doctor's office send you the data directly to you (not "through" the CA).

What is the basis for your dispute? Are you claiming that they are billing you for medical services they didn't provide...billed more $$ than they should???

You have a basic right to know what you are being billed for and how much...how much has been paid and what is owed. However, that is not necessarily a legal requirement of the CA to provide that kind of information...it's reasonable to ask and I would but that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Iin the case of medical debts, it's usually better to try and work directly with the provider, in person if possible...most Doctors/hospitals just want to be piad and are usually wiling to work with the consumer if they can. That is, of course, unless you think the Dr is trying to run a scam of some kind in which case it may be time to bring out the big guns.