Bureaus VERIFIED Debt, CA Couldn't & DELETED, Any Violations?

Here's a quick time line:

• Certified letter sent to all 3 credit bureaus
  • 7 Business Days later the account is verified by all 3 bureaus
  • I then sent a Certified Debt Validation letter to collection agency
  • Waited 44 Days with no response. Pulled credit report, Collection deleted

The credit bureaus didn't exactly do a good job of verifying and deleting the inaccurate information on my credit report. However, the collection agency did remove the account.

Were any laws violated here? Should I contact my attorney?

This account has been haunting me for years now. I finally took action after discovering this website :)++ I've kept all the denied credit applications that were a result of this collection. Is there room for legal action?

Even though it seems like the CRAs did a lousy job, they had 30 days (or 45 days in some cases) to investigate and correct your reports. Usually, intermediate results within the investigation period are not actionable under FCRA with a few possible exceptions.

I wonder whether the CA verified to the CRAs AND marked the account in dispute? Failure to do so would be an FDCPA violation.

Your state may have a friendlier FDCPA version or you could find some state torts which are not preempted by FCRA.

Go to naca.net to find a consumer attorney in your area. You may be able to get a free initial consultation to see if you have a case.