Oh great now NCO jumped on my credit today, no reason

jammit2k

Anywhoo, I got an alert in my e-mail that a change occured on my credit today. I open it and it's NCO FIN/22 for $1040 for at&t/Cingular wirless. They are a nasty bunch from what i've read here, and they were nasty and ruthless to my aunt when she was laid off a couple of years ago (calling 5 times a day).

Problem is i've never had an AT&T cell phone. I've only had Verizon and now Sprint. So this is not my debt. What steps should i do to get a handle on these guys and nip it in the bud before they even get a chance to get nasty. I already did an online dispute with Experian, but as i learned from my last dispute they don't really help you the consumer.

What should i do next? fire off a c&d letter?

Anywhoo, I got an alert in my e-mail that a change occured on my credit today. I open it and it's NCO FIN/22 for $1040 for at&t/Cingular wirless. They are a nasty bunch from what i've read here, and they were nasty and ruthless to my aunt when she was laid off a couple of years ago (calling 5 times a day).

Problem is i've never had an AT&T cell phone. I've only had Verizon and now Sprint. So this is not my debt. What steps should i do to get a handle on these guys and nip it in the bud before they even get a chance to get nasty. I already did an online dispute with Experian, but as i learned from my last dispute they don't really help you the consumer.

What should i do next? fire off a c&d letter?

A C/D letter will NOT help you solve this problem unless you don't care that the tradeline in on your CR.

If it's not your account then the proscribed way to handle it is to file an ID Theft Report (with the FTC) and a police report with your local PD and send copies to the bureaus and whoever is reporting. However, I wouldn't usually recommend doing that based only on a tradeline.

I would suggest you Dispute/request validation and see if they respond at all and/or what they might have in their files...if you get really lucky, they may just send you exactly what you need to show that it isn't your account (i.e. the account belongs to someone with the same/similar name, etc.). Depending on what they send you or if they respond at all then you may be able to get them to go away quickly and easily.

If they don't respond at all or they basically refuse to budge even in the face of evidence that they've got the wrong person or in case this truly is an ID Theft issue then file an ID Theft and Police report.

Ok, thanks so I’ll just wait to see what they send. If it comes back as mine (i.e. has my SS#) somehow what do I do? Should I then file the police report for ID theft?

And does it matter at all that this is listed as "NCO/ASGNE OF AT&T"? Asgne? If it's assigned to them they don't own the debt right? So technically they can't report this, or am I all wrong about this?

I ask about NCO because, i read they are the worst of the worst. Oddly enough a guy named Mike called my neighbor about 2 weeks ago looking for me, claiming he was an old friend. She told him to never call her again and she would never give out personal info about someone like that. I don't have and old friend named Mike that would be looking for me. And I think its very suspect that this occurred and then suddenly NCO shows up on my credit. Sadly, thanks to the Internet phone systems they use to mask their caller ID's I can never prove it was them.

This is just what I needed as I was finally going to get the only blemish off my credit with the stupid school books/CA debacle. A negative TL from the most evil and ruthless CA's from something that's not even mine. D'oh!

Ok, thanks so I’ll just wait to see what they send. If it comes back as mine (i.e. has my SS#) somehow what do I do? Should I then file the police report for ID theft?

And does it matter at all that this is listed as "NCO/ASGNE OF AT&T"? Asgne? If it's assigned to them they don't own the debt right? So technically they can't report this, or am I all wrong about this?

I ask about NCO because, i read they are the worst of the worst. Oddly enough a guy named Mike called my neighbor about 2 weeks ago looking for me, claiming he was an old friend. She told him to never call her again and she would never give out personal info about someone like that. I don't have and old friend named Mike that would be looking for me. And I think its very suspect that this occurred and then suddenly NCO shows up on my credit. Sadly, thanks to the Internet phone systems they use to mask their caller ID's I can never prove it was them.

This is just what I needed as I was finally going to get the only blemish off my credit with the stupid school books/CA debacle. A negative TL from the most evil and ruthless CA's from something that's not even mine. D'oh!

The OC, a subsequent debt owner (JDB) and/or a CA can all report all at the same time so long as they report accurately.

Yes; sounds as if NCO is just the CA here; not the debt owner.

Absolutely...if you KNOW you didn't ever have an AT&T account but they send you any sort of documentation the bears you SSN or other identifying data then it would certainly sound to me as if this is truly ID Theft (and not a simple case of miss identification).

In any case, it isn't your responsibility to PROVE whether it's ID Theft or not...that's really up to the police to ferret out.