If My Husband & I Get A Divorce Am I Responsible For 1/2 His Debt? Foreclosure? Repo?

If my husband and I get a divorce am I responsible for 1/2 his bad debt just because we were married at the time? Everything is in his name. The house looks like it's going to be a foreclosure and the two cars will be repos. I was told it won't get reported to MY credit reports because my name is no where on the mortgage or car loans. I was told that the creditors would go after HIM.

If my husband and I get a divorce am I responsible for 1/2 his bad debt just because we were married at the time? Everything is in his name. The house looks like it's going to be a foreclosure and the two cars will be repos. I was told it won't get reported to MY credit reports because my name is no where on the mortgage or car loans. I was told that the creditors would go after HIM.

it will depend on if your in a communtiy property state..your Divorce lawyer should know your state laws..

Do we have to get a lawyer? We are trying to keep cost down as much as we can right now. There really isn't anything to fight over. The home will be a foreclosure, we went through what was in the bank trying to pay the bills. The house note and crazy car payments sucked that dry! Both of his car notes were $800 each and that was for 2 Nissans! There are no stocks, bonds, IRAs, etc.. Other than that... there are 4 dogs to fight over! He doen't have a job!

I'm embarrased even having to ask these questions! :oops:

you dont know if you dont ask, you both can use the same lawyer, ( joiner) if you dont have kids ( i dont mean the furry kind either) property or 'real" assets it shouldnt cost you very much at all.

BUT until the house and everything else is gone you do Have some property,,and it has to be listed in a divorce

You can lay out the distribution of debts in your divorce decree. You can hire a lawyer jointly at a relatively small amount to do the paperwork for a simple divorce. I would highly recommend it, because the lawyer can make sure everything is written and filed as it needs to be written and filed.

If your name is nowhere on any of his debts, then your credit report should be unaffected.