Someone is trying to serve me.

My husband calls me at work a few days ago and tells me someone came to the door and asked for me. He asked him the nature of his business and he said he was trying to serve me with papers. He would not give him any info and left a card that looks like he printed it up on his PC. It has his name and said Legal Services. There is no business by this name on the net or in the yellow pages. We did a reverse number lookup and it is some crappy apartment complex in Dallas. Well when my husband was out running errands today he comes back and a note in a ziploc bag is taped to our door that is saying he is trying to serve me and court costs, public postings and embarrassment might ensue (sp) if I do not contact him. I do not know this guy from Adam and I do not feel comfortable calling him to have my words twisted. I do believe it is probably from Midland Management, they filed a Civil Suit in Oct of 08 and the only way I found out about that was I got a letter from a mediator. Would you call or wait to be served? My husband said this guy looks shady. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

If they filed suit in Oct last year, surely you would have received a summons by now. Avoiding the process server is not going to do you any good...when he gets tired of knocking on your door, he'll throw the summons in the sewer and claim you were served.

I'd suggest you call the guy and tell him to show up at a time when you and your hubby can answer the door. You don't need to talk with him beyond that.

(Process servers are usually pretty scummy looking. If they weren't, they get a real job somewhere).