Judgement question

Loca

My husband got a judgement against him for a credit card he couldn't pay for when times got rough. It is almost paid off and they told him the judgement will come off when it's paid for. Are they just saying that or does that actually happen? I am assuming he needs to get it in writing.

Also, the CC the judgement is for is still on his CR and the CA the judgement the came also. So... CC Company (US Bank), CA, and the judgement. Is this how it should be?

Im not sure kind of going through the same thing myself.

Had a judgement from American Payroll Advance. Paid the judgement. Disputed with EX and TU. Experian deleted, TU changed to being a paid judgement. I'm really not sure how we would go about getting these of the CR. I have no idea if the court would have to do it, or if the Collector would be able to....hopefully someone will clarify for the both of us

:)++

Two different issues.

LOCA -- It sounds as if you have no written agreement with the creditor or with the agency collecting the judgment. It would be better if you had a written agreement what was going to happen in advance. But, you don't - so no reason to panic now.

Once paid, the creditor/judgment holder is required by state law to give you a "satisfaction of judgment" or in some states called a "release of judgment". This is a formal legal document. When you receive it, you will need to take it to the court house, see the court clerk and file the document. This will cause the judgment to be marked paid in the court records.

Sometimes, creditors get lazy and don't issue the satisfaction. So, you may need to ask for it in writing. It it is not forthcoming in 60 days or so, file a complaint with the state bar association and the state attorney general.

LOCA AND JAT -- Paid judgments don't just fall off your credit report once paid. The FCRA says that a judgment may remain on your credit report for a period not to exceed 10 years AFTER PAID.

It is very hard to have a paid judgment removed by dispute to the credit bureau. A judgment is a public record. That means the record is at the courthouse for all to see. Try going down to the courthouse and disputing the judgment with the court clerk and see what happens. Not gonna happen.

Sometimes, you might get lucky with a dispute to the CRA. But you need to understand that the court does not report to the credit bureaus like a creditor data furnisher does. The CRA has agents who look through court house records to find these things.

They are all liars and thieves, where did the judgment get done?

If it was not in the city you reside in then you can get it removed with a motion to vacate judgment. This is how we get most of them done. File in the court near you first, they wont send an attny and you get summary judgment....