Swine flu

Goldbug

Deannatx, what the heck is going on in Tejas? Your Gov just hit the CDC up for flu vaccine! :confused: Take care!

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/43695537.html

0 comments

Swine Flu Deaths Spur Global Epidemic Fears

A | A | A

AUSTIN (April 25, 2009)—Gov. Rick Perry Saturday asked the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for 37,430 courses of antiviral medications from the Strategic National Stockpile as a precaution after three cases of swine flu were confirmed in Texas.

The medication will be available for treatment of those with confirmed or suspected cases of swine flu as well as for healthcare providers who may come into contact with the patients, Perry said.

All three of the Texas cases involved high school students from the same school in Guadalupe County.

The first two became ill in early April and on Thursday test results confirmed both had swine flu.

The third student became ill until this past week.

Lab results are pending, Perry said.

There is no apparent direct connection between the first two students and the third, Perry said.

All three have recovered, Perry said.

Also, a 10-year-old California boy traveled to the state through Dallas before he was diagnosed with the strain.

The Department of State Health Services, however, says other cases may have gone undiagnosed.

DSHS has contacted other students from the school since April 11 and has determined that eight students were absent because of flu-like illnesses.

"There is a reasonable chance that the current swine flu situation will not expand," DSHS Commissioner David Lakey said.

"However, we must take prudent steps to ensure the state is prepared if it does.

“In addition to the antiviral medications previously purchased by the state, these additional medications will be available for the state as appropriate to prevent further spread of the virus,” he said.

Symptoms of swine flu, which are similar to those of seasonal flu, include fever, fatigue, lack of appetite and coughing, and in some cases runny noses, sore throats, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

World Health Organization Director-General Margaret Chan says the outbreak involves "an animal strain of the H1N1 virus, and it has pandemic potential."

The CDC says two flu drugs, Tamiflu and Relenza, seem effective against the new strain.

Drug-maker Roche says the company is prepared to quickly deploy its drug stockpile if requested.

As many as 68 people may have died of swine flu in Mexico, although the strain has been confirmed in just 20 of the deaths.

More than a thousand others are sick.

Mexico City is suspending all public events for 10 days as officials try to contain the outbreak.

WHO Human Swine Influenza Site

This is very similar to the Avian flu (bird flu). It has genetics characteristics of the bird flu, swine flu (pig) and human flu strain mixed together. This is different from the bird flu in two major ways: more easily spreadable but less deadly. My guess is that they are using the term swine flu because it distinguishes this strain from ordinary human flu and does not scare the Bejesus out of people by calling it avian flu.

No reason to panic but certainly cause for some thought and simple preparation. Once these things get past the tipping point, they are uncontrollable and can span the globe. It could definitely get ugly but we're far from that right now.

Simple things- washing your hands thoroughly, not sending kids to school sick or going to work ill, will help. But these are rules that should always apply- we could eliminate thousands of deaths each year by doing this!

Wow...those flu drug makers are gonna get rich off this. (tinfoil hat on) I can already see them rubbing their hands together. lol

I read somewhere..sorry I don't have the link...that somebody probably already had the Avain flu virus then caught another virus which made what's happening now. ??????

I wonder if the 'darkman" is coming. haha...I just read Stephen King's The Stand.

Bailey wrote:

The first U.S. death has occured from the "swine" flu. A child in TX. Bless their heart. I'm sure you can catch the story on any news outlet...tried to post a link but alas I am not at my 20 posts yet.

The toddler that died in Texas was from Mexico. He was in TX being treated for the flu.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6398202.html

Jetscarbie wrote:

Wow...those flu drug makers are gonna get rich off this. (tinfoil hat on) I can already see them rubbing their hands together. lol

Donald Rumsfield (former Sec Def) is a major shareholder in the company that makes Tamaflu.

In October 2005 the Pentagon ordered vaccination of all US military personnel worldwide against what it called Avian Flu, H5N1. Scare stories filled world media. Then, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld announced he had budgeted more than $1 billion to stockpile the vaccine, Oseltamivir sold under the name, Tamiflu. President Bush called on Congress to appropriate another $2 billion for Tamiflu stocks.

What Rumsfeld neglected to report at the time was a colossal conflict of interest. Prior to coming to Washington in January 2001, Rumsfeld had been chairman of a California pharmaceutical company, Gilead Sciences. Gilead Sciences held exclusive world patent rights to Tamiflu, a drug it had developed and whose world marketing rights were sold to the Swiss pharma giant, Roche. Rumsfeld was reportedly the largest stock holder in Gilead which got 10% of every Tamiflu dose Roche sold. 14 When it leaked out, the Pentagon issued a curt statement to the effect that Secretary Rumsfeld had decided not to sell but to retain his stock in Gilead, claiming that to sell would have indicated something to hide.’ That agonizing decision won him reported added millions as the Gilead share price soared more than 700% in weeks.

Tamiflu is no mild candy to be taken lightly. It has heavy side effects. It contains matter that could have potentially deadly consequences for a person’s breathing and often reportedly leads to nausea, dizziness and other flu-like symptoms.

Since the outbreak of Swine Flu Panic (not Swine Flu but Swine Flu Panic) sales of Tamiflu as well as any and every possible drug marketed as flu related have exploded. Wall Street firms have rushed to issue ‘buy’ recommendations for the company. ‘Gimme me a shot Doc, I don’t care what it is…I don’ wanna die…’

And then there's Baxter... Check 'em out and see what you think.:shock:

Aren't we always being prepped for something? It has been on CNN all day long. :blah: Even the local radio stations are giving updates on outbreaks.

I heard today that Dr. Gupta has traced the source to a 5 year old boy at the Smithfield pig farm in Mexico. Smithfield an American company completely denies their pigs are infected."We test all our animals".

Granted it's not an ideal situation but for WHO to call it pandemic is a bit over reacting. (IMHO) Flu alert has been raised to a level 5.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30398682/?GT1=43001

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/29/swine.flu/index.html

Just start mass producing the antibiotic - better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Delta said:

Just start mass producing the antibiotic - better to have and not need than to need and not have

Antibiotics aren't effective on viruses. Vaccines take time to make and may be worse than the disease. Check out the swine flu scare in 1976, the vaccine was blamed for 30+ deaths and over 500 left paralyzed. One person actually died from the flu. There has to be a better answer.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/03/dayintech_0324

Common seasonal flu kills 250,000 to 500,000 people every year worldwide, far more than the current outbreak of swine flu.

I stand corrected it is not antibiotics but anti virals:

The Director of the WHO states: Pharmaceutical companies should ramp up manufacturing, Chan said. Two antiviral drugs — Relenza, made by GlaxoSmithKline and Tamiflu, made by Roche AG — have been shown to work against the H1N1 strain.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30398682/?GT1=43001

I stand corrected it is not antibiotics but anti virals:

Don't feel bad, I've gotten an education about viruses the last couple of days myself.:)

Tamiflu might relieve the symptoms of swine flu, they don't know for sure until it happens.:evil: I'm highly suspect of Tamiflu because of Donald Rumsfield's involvement with the company that makes it. He's the one that got Aspartame accepted by the FDA. Google "aspartame" and prowl around, it'll blow your mind that something like this is actually allowed in our food.

WHO has raised the alert level to level 5, level 6 is the max, with forced inoculations and martial law.:shock:

You owe to yourself to check out these links:

http://www.infowars.com/container-of-swine-virus-explodes-on-swiss-train/

(How does a container of flu virus "explode", but there's no danger?)

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2009/02/27/8560781.html

(They didn't mention that Baxter ran a test of this vaccine on homeless people, killing 350 or so. Search around, you'll find the article)

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200904291536DOWJONESDJONLINE000855_FORTUNE5.htm

(Gives you the warm fuzzies knowing that Baxter may be making the swine flu vaccine doesn't it?)

Jetscarbie wrote:

Donald Rumsfield (former Sec Def) is a major shareholder in the company that makes Tamaflu.

So, is the Swine Flu scare just some vast conspiracy to make money for Donald Rumsfeld?

OwlGore is heavily invested in "green" technology and alternative energy sources, could the ficticious global warming scare all be about money as well?

Passed in 2003, Seguro Popular was developed to provide health care to 50 million Mexicans who otherwise lack coverage. Voluntary enrollment in the program, at no cost to the poor, provides access to health clinics, drugs, regular and preventive medical care, and the money to pay for it all. The program’s primary goal is the reduction of catastrophic health expenses, those exceeding one-third of a household’s yearly disposable income

and today's newspaper article

Ambulance personel are refusing to transport people suspected of having the flu

Elias Camacho, a 31-year-old truck driver with fever, cough and body aches, was ordered out of a government ambulance Sunday because paramedics complained he might be contagious, his father-in-law told the AP. When family members took him to a hospital in a taxi, Jorge Martinez Cruz said, a doctor told him he wasn't sick. Later it was determined that he was and he was quarantined

In Mexico City, Jose Isaac Cepeda said two hospitals refused to treat his fever, diarrhea and joint pains. The first turned him away because he wasn't registered in the public health system, he said.

In Mexico;

-Vaccines and treating medicine not widely available

-Sick people being turned aweay from hospitals and not being treated

-People who have had family members die as a result of the Swine Flu are not being vaccinated or examined for carrying virus

Mexico's health secretary said Monday that his agency hasn't had the resources to visit the families of the dead. That means doctors haven't begun treatment for the population most exposed to swine flu, and most apt to spread it.

Mexico's medical teams in the health system do not yet know how the victims were infected and how it can be contained.

Of course the media are overreacting. It sells papers.

However, I agree with those who say it is better for governments to overreact than to underreact. I got the Hong Kong Flu in 1969. Not too bad in the US, only about 35,000 deaths, which wasn't much more than the normal seasonal flu in those days. However, more than 1 million people died around the world, and it did an estimated $330 billion damage to the world economy. (I think in today's dollars).

Since then, the world is better prepared, and often overprepared. 40 years without a pandemic is nothing to sneeze at. 8-)

So, is the Swine Flu scare just some vast conspiracy to make money for Donald Rumsfeld?

No, but the effectiveness of Tamiflu is highly suspect partly because Rumsfield is involved. I don't really know why Swine flu is being pushed so hard, that's my whole point. The reaction is extreme considering the few deaths that have occurred, but there are a lot of conflicting stories from many different sources so who knows the truth. Is greed, to the detriment of the consumer, a factor in how drug companies conduct business? Watch the video and you decide for yourself, also google "vioxx" for a more recent example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LIxHsqSxhU

OwlGore is heavily invested in "green" technology and alternative energy sources, could the ficticious global warming scare all be about money as well?

Gore is just one of many that will profit handsomely from "Cap and Trade" and carbon credits and the consumer will pay thru the nose.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have an alternate energy source, assuming there is one, in place before pushing the "cap and trade" and carbon credits off on people? Here's what BO had to say about "cap and trade".

“You know, when I was asked earlier about the issue of coal, you know — under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket. Even regardless of what I say about whether coal is good or bad. Because I’m capping greenhouse gases, coal power plants, you know, natural gas, you name it — whatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money on to consumers.”

Then Senator Obama, in a January 2008 interview with the San Francisco Chronicle.

No, but the effectiveness of Tamiflu is highly suspect partly because Rumsfield is involved. I don't really know why Swine flu is being pushed so hard, that's my whole point.

Actually, Tamiflu shouldn't be suspect. Tamiflu has been clinically proven again and again to reduce infection times for flu viruses. It is one of only 2 antivirals effective against flu viruses.

The second antiviral, Relenza, is easily as effective, just not as plentiful...probably because there isn't a high ranking former government official putting money into it and selling it to the military.

And trust me, if you have ever had the flu and been put on one of these medications, you won't be suspect any longer. I got the flu a couple of years ago from my son. I was vaccinate, but even with the vaccine, close contact can still cause infection...Between the Tamiflu and the fact that I was vaccinated, I was 100% better in 48-hours!

The thing that is scary about the swine flu is that it is highly contagious (as are most flu strains) and NONE OF OUR HEALTHCARE WORKERS ARE VACCINATED AGAINST IT!

There are processes in place in the US to distribute huge amounts of masks that are guaranteed to keep the workers healthy if they are dealing with a patient with swine flu, but how many doctors, nurses, techs, EMTs, etc. are going to get it before they know the patient has it? Once it spreads to a new state, until it is confirmed as swine flu, hospitals aren't even allowed to publicly speculate if there is a case.

A person who contracts swine flu is contagious 1 day prior to onset of symptoms and (without antiviral treatments) for 7 days post fever break! That can be a 2-week infection window.

At the moment, there is no reason to panic...However, there are plenty of reasons to be mindful.