Breach of Contract

I hired a contractor to do work for me. We have a written contract. He was supposed to get paid in four payments. He got all the money before he was done because I was an idiot and he was a con. What do I do to get him to finish the work? I really can't afford to take him to court. I need my house fixed, so any extra money i have will go to fixing the house, not suing him.

I hired a contractor to do work for me. We have a written contract. He was supposed to get paid in four payments. He got all the money before he was done because I was an idiot and he was a con. What do I do to get him to finish the work? I really can't afford to take him to court. I need my house fixed, so any extra money i have will go to fixing the house, not suing him.

Hopefully he was Licenecd. and many states require insurance or Bonding,,

you may need to file against his bond/insurance,,i would be quick if hes doing this to you how many others did he con?

Most states have a contrator's licensing board. Find out who they are and then threaten to go to them if the work is not performed by X date. Then follow through if the contractor does not live up to her end of the bargain.

I wouldnt think , someone would NOT want a "forced" contracter to do any work on Thier home, could end up costing WAY more than what i paid him to fix his " forced" contract..after all just how good do you think his works going to be after you threaten him?

go after his Bond or insurance instead..& hire a GOOD contractor (after of course you check everything out)

My parents just went through a similiar situation. In NC independent contractors are not required to be bonded and being the trusting people they are they hired someone presuming that they followed the "golden rule." I feel like I'm a little to blame because the landscaper charged a flat fee to do a project an not an hourly rate and wanted it up front. I didn't have a good feeling about it, but I thought of course "what do I know?" The guy looked at the property, made some notes, took their check and hasn't been heard of since.

Regarding your situation, I have to agree with "cbairey." You definitely don't want a disgruntled contractor being forced to work on your property.

He has been paid all of the money for the job but has not done the work. If you do not "force" him to comply with the agreement, you will end up paying someone else to do the work for you and seek damages for breach of contract from the first contractor.

In my experience, when the licensing authority gets involved, the contractor wants to please you, not make you angrier.

He has been paid all of the money for the job but has not done the work. If you do not "force" him to comply with the agreement, you will end up paying someone else to do the work for you and seek damages for breach of contract from the first contractor.

In my experience, when the licensing authority gets involved, the contractor wants to please you, not make you angrier.

This is only true if the "contractor " is licensed. If the term contractor is being used here in place of "handy man" or if the so called "contractor" is a guy doing construction on the side and under the table then the OP may have to go to court if he/she can find them, then try to collect.

Never Never Never pay anyone like this in full before the work order is finished and inspected. I work with handy men all the time, one is a good friend and he knows I will not pay him up front. I buy the materials myself so there is no mark up or no delivery fee on his part. I keep friendship and business separate. If I need work done, I always call him first because he is a friend, but as soon as we start talking and writing estimates, it is business.