Wake a sleeping dragon?

cheyenne52883

10/2008 I was laid off. Due to an unemployment overpayment almost 3 years prior, I was denied unemployment benefits for 6 wks. All the while, I was trying to finish paying for a wedding on 12/6/08....

Due to the above circumstances I could not pay for an Imagine Credit Card that I had. At that time the balance was $139.88. I have recently found a new job and have gotten back on my feet and want to take care of this debt. I recently went online and was shocked.

The balance went from 139.88 to 436.05! I had called the company when I had lost my job and they told me that since the account was closed anyways they would just let it sit there and I could start paying when I got another job.

My dilemma is: according to my credit report the account is positive. Still shows a balance of 139 and shows it as current/paying as agreed.

I would like to take care of this but if I call them to negotiate the balance I am afraid they will start reporting the more recent and negative information.

Should I take the chance to contact them to negotiate the balance and possibly hurt my credit even more with them reporting the new info OR should I just ignore it and let it remain a positive account?

Do you have any tips on negotiating the balance? It was $139 when I stopped paying and notified the company at which time they stated that they would freeze the account and no more fees would accrue... This is hear say, if you had it in writting then you would only be liable for that amount Now the account is at $436!

I would suggest sending a letter to the higher ups and explain your situation not all of them a heartless you know whats.

Make them an offer, in that offer make your point very clear that you either want the TL deleted or at least brought to a current status.

Have you found new eomployment yet?

If so see if they will let you pay the amount you owed and re open the account.

I have found new employment. The account was closed about 2 year ago because they did not update my acct information as I had requested, tried to take the payment out of my old account which was closed therefore making it a late payment. They immediately closed the account and will not reopen. I had been paying on the closed account which was still accruing a monthly account maintenance fee which I do not agree with... But that's another story. I am sure that they will not reopen the account since I have yet to persuade them to since it was closed the first time.

I will send them a letter explaining my situation and hopefully they will negotiate on the balance.