Settle with CA or go back to OC?

I'mAMess

I have searched this site for the last 3 days and I am still not sure the best approach for the following issue.

Last week I received a letter from a CA seeking to settle a year old debt for 85% of the balance owed. I would like to settle this and get my CR cleared. The TL shows on my CR by the CA as collection account, no TL from the OC. How should I proceed?

Should I try to settle with the CA?

Should I go back to the OC and try to settle?

How much should I offer? Is it reasonable to expect to clear this from my CR?

Thanks everyone. I keep trying to understand all the other postings on this subject, but it is just too confusing to me.

Dealing with the OC would be preferable. But, if the debt is a year old, odds are fair the debt has been sold the OC is out of the picture.

Be advised that paying the debt will not "clear your report". The history is the history and it is a very long shot that you can convince the creditor to delete accurate history. I know that everyone on the board says it is a piece of cake. If you enjoy fantasy, proceed in that manner.

However, paying the debt will solve the ongoing legal risk. Given the age of the debt, you are at serious risk of a lawsuit. A judgment will hurt your credit much worse and for a much longer time.