Paying off a judgment--seems shady??

wintn27

I recently found that my there's a garnishment on my bank account. They levied it and took about 150 dollars (what I had at the time). After exploring my options, I decided to just pay them off. I called the collection agency (Asset Acceptance) and spoke to a nice representative at first. I am currently living overseas and won't be home for another 4 months. She told me I had to wire the money using Western Union.

I spent 3 hours at the bank today trying to send using western union. It failed because I couldn't send the money to a company..it has to be person to person. I called Asset Acceptance again, and talked to a very very rude representative who told me it was the only way I can make payment. I called again and got another representative who told me I can send payment in the form of money order. Problem is...

She said if I send through western union, they will file legal paperwork to RELEASE my bank account.

BUT if I pay through money order, I have to pay the remaining balance but there's no paperwork to release the bank account. They will simply stop levying the bank.

I don't know..it sounds a bit...weird. I mean I will have documentation of the money order and such...if they do levy it again. And off course I will close that account once I go home..but I still need to keep that account active to wire my funds home at the moment.

Advice?? Thanks!

One thing I know for sure is that you have to get something in "writing" from them stating the judgment will be released and removed. You could pay it and it can still show as a "paid judgment" on your credit report. :evil: Make sure you get this in writing. :)++

Don't send them another dime until you get everything in writting and tell them you want a receipt for the last payment they ripped you off of.

Also was this judgment established when you were overseas as well because if it was I'd file a motion to vacate the judgment use that you

were overseas as a defense and you can file a motion to have the bank levy vacated as well. Don't trust those scums they will not report

anything correctly so get it in writing.

I have contacted several attorneys to discuss that I was served improperly. They have all told me it's a battle not worth pursuing. I just want to pay and not worry about this anymore. I just don't know how to go about it.

How should I handle this while overseas??

Hi for one from now on when you speak with any of their representatives get their name or operator number, write down the date and time you spoke with them.

Its to protect yourself in case they don't report your information, I would write them a settlement letter a pay for delete letter you can find the form on this site and give them 15 days to respond and address it to the highest supervisor of the agency in fact why dont you search this site i think they should have their address and the name of the head moron in charge.

But, you must protect yourself from being taken advantage of its a good thing you can afford to pay them back and want to. But, also consider how many people who pay these jdb where their information is never reported correctly or payments are not acknowledge put it in writting and keep communicating with them only in writting.

If they don't respond in the 15 days send them another letter, it worked for me I finally got the head guy after I threaten suit of course.

(disclaimer: Nope no law being practice here just two consumers chatting )