I just had to share my good news as I'm still in shock. I was just approved for a credit card! The last credit card I was approved for was with a sub-prime lender back in 2004 I think.

This is an un-secured card for $1,200 11.9% interest & 1.5% cashback on all purchases. I'm not sure what my EQ score was at the time of app but last month it was 566. (hence my shock)

So now I'm hopeful that if I treat this card right my score will be improving enough that I can try my auto re-fi in a couple months. I don't have any credit cards at all which has been hurting my score probably as much as the old charge offs were on my CR.

Hey, that's awesome! I remember you posting a few times about having some difficulty. Good to hear you stuck with everything, and now look at ya... :)

MT2VA, Congrats.

I love NFCU- I got a credit catd from them and re-finance my auto loan a few months later. Another thing you might want to check is the affiliation discount you recieve if you get GEICO Auto Insurance through them. There is a link under memebr services. I had been an Allstate policy holder for over 20 yrs and when I went to add my teenage son I decided to shop around. I was amazed at the price difference.

Thanks for the tip about the auto insurance. I actually switched to Geico using the NFCU discount about 3 weeks ago & saved about $50/month. I was shocked as in the past they told me they would not insure us because of my husband's driving record. (previous DUIs) I was able to up my limits, lower my deductible, & add rental coverage on & still beat my old insurance rate.

Also just a quick note while I was waiting to hear about the other CC I had received what I thought was a pre-approved CC offer from them for a different product & so I had applied for it. Turns out I was approved for the goRewards MasterCard for $1,000! Apparently, they like to show their love to their customers LOL I'm so glad I waited to join them & didn't go with another local credit union.

So while my AAoA will go down a bit will this help my credit score to finally have 2 CC TL reporting??

If these are your only credit cards- then you should see an increase- because of your mix of credit will be better.

Do you have any auto loans? I refinanced mine through NFCU and love the bi-weekly payments ( they have a calculator on the website to show you the real savings)

In about 6 months if your feeling brave you may want to appy for a NAVCHECK- its a line of credit associated with your Checking account- in other word overdraft protection- that allows you to write yourself a loan. I got one for 3,000 and a few months later bumped it up to 5,000. It reports as a revolving account- I have no intention of ever using it- but it's nice for utilization.

I haven't had all success with NFCU- my 1000 secured visa reached a year and they won't release the funds- I asked for a CLI to 5000 at the same time and was denied. I'm going to give it a few months and as for the security to be released- then go for the CLI.

Forgot to mention my goal is to re-fi my car. I wanted to wait until I had paid on my CC a couple months though I think before I try for that. I don't have a checking account with them (they are not my main bank & wouldn't really work in that capacity) so I don't think I can get the NAVCheck LOC.

Yes these are my only CC. I do have a current auto loan though & student loans. (no mortgage at this time)

I was really expecting to have to go the secured route & am glad I didn't have to. I just got anxious & app for the CC probably before I should have & I'm still in shock it worked out.

At this point I've given up on my CR for now. Most of what's left I can't get rid of & since my sole purpose was to get CC & re-fir my car I think I'm okay as NFCU only pulls EQ.

Wow Congratulations.... now you have to make sure that you won't make anything to get a bad credit. It's so hard to get a credit card. You know your responsibilities on how to make your credit card for sure. :)

What I did with NFCUs auto loan: The monthly payment was 260- each paycheck I get 150 direct deposited into a NFCU checking account. (I get paid every other thursday) The following Monday I have 140 applied to the auto loan (paying alittle extra on principle) - That leaves me 10 dollars a pay to just let sit in the account- or let it build and use it for a NFCU CC payment- I threw my checkbook away and don't use this checking account to pay any other bills. The bi-weekly payments and the little extra payment will shave about 7 months off a 60 month loan. I've go my NAVCHECK tied to this account- with no intent to ever use it.

What I did with NFCUs auto loan: The monthly payment was 260- each paycheck I get 150 direct deposited into a NFCU checking account. (I get paid every other thursday) The following Monday I have 140 applied to the auto loan (paying alittle extra on principle) - That leaves me 10 dollars a pay to just let sit in the account- or let it build and use it for a NFCU CC payment- I threw my checkbook away and don't use this checking account to pay any other bills. The bi-weekly payments and the little extra payment will shave about 7 months off a 60 month loan. I've go my NAVCHECK tied to this account- with no intent to ever use it.

Hey thanks for the advice. I may just do that. I used to do that for my mortgage but the bank I was dealing with was such a hassle.