debt removed from CR but CA still calling

popsjenkins

I checked my Credit report and had 2 verizon accounts listed that I never opened. The address they had was my address but I was not living there at the time. My parents were. Accounts spanned from 2001 - 2003 and 2005 for about 5 months. I disputed the listing with Transunion and Experian (Equifax is pending) and they both removed the listings from my credit reports.

About a month ago I started receiving letters from debt recovery solutions about one of the Verizon accounts. I called the CA and it turns out they were collecting for both the accounts I had removed PLUS another one I never knew of. It was still around the same time frame(2003-2005). I advised them I had the 2 removed but they said they were still holding me accountable for the debt. I ended the conversation right there.

Do I have any options in this matter?

You have lots of options!

If these debts aren't yours and you do not know who they belong to, you might one to investigate. I assume that your parents do not know what these accounts are and are like my parents and pay all debts on time. In this case, it is either a mistake or a case of identity theft.

Either way, until you get to the bottom of this, the CA has the right to keep collecting. You can send a C&D, but if these are still under SOL, you may wind up in court. (Probably not, but it is never good to assume.)

You can ask for validation, but that may not do you any good.

In my opinion, the best thing to do is call Verizon and try to obtain information. They may refer you back to the CA, but they may be able to provide you with more information. They should at least be able to determine what SSN this was opened under and if it really is yours. Remember, these scum CAs can occasionally get addresses and other things connected through erroneous trails.

Just because something is off your credit report doesn't mean its gone. It just takes away one of the sticks they can use to poke at you. Even after the 7.5 years, they still have the right to try to collect....and you still have the right to tell them to leave you alone.

I checked my Credit report and had 2 verizon accounts listed that I never opened. The address they had was my address but I was not living there at the time. My parents were. Accounts spanned from 2001 - 2003 and 2005 for about 5 months. I disputed the listing with Transunion and Experian (Equifax is pending) and they both removed the listings from my credit reports.

About a month ago I started receiving letters from debt recovery solutions about one of the Verizon accounts. I called the CA and it turns out they were collecting for both the accounts I had removed PLUS another one I never knew of. It was still around the same time frame(2003-2005). I advised them I had the 2 removed but they said they were still holding me accountable for the debt. I ended the conversation right there.

Do I have any options in this matter?

If the accounts aren't your accounts (meaning you didn't open them and have no legal responsibility for them) then file an ID Theft affidavit with the FTC and a police report with your local police/law enforcement agency.

Mail copies of these documents to the bureaus and to any CA that contacts as well as to Verizon (or whoever the current creditor is, if it is no longer with Verizon)...that should quash any reporting or collection attempts.