phishing scam?? HELP!!!

zfire

If you think it's a phishing scam, then it probably is. Call your bank and ask them. They will almost certainly tell you it's a phishing scam, but, sometimes banks don't still have a clue and send out things which give off a weird vibe.

Depending upon your Email client, you should be able to view the headers.

Did you give out your personal info in response? Even if you did, I am curious as to why it matters to you? Maybe I am missing the point (which is why my curiosity has peaked) but what use is this information to you in the real world? In any event. it is unlikely that you will be able to get behind the various proxies, piggy backs and spoofing addys used. Even if you could what would you do with the information, hop a plane to Nigeria? :confused:

I got a really weird email a bit ago, (referring to my bank account) and I need someone who can tell me where it came from. If someone will IM me, I'll send the info.

Thanks,

Z

NEVER Suppy information to a "bank" email, your bank should have a fraud email you can foward the" scam" information too,

Your Bank has your information and will either send you something by mail or call you personally, and NEVER ask for your SSN,Account ect over the phone( or shouldnt), can you print the Email and delivery to your bank branch?

I get these scam emails all the time, funny thing is I have No bank accounts, I just delete them

Of course I didn't give anyone my personal info. However, there are some issues that bother me.

I faxed the whole mess to my bank, (since their name was supposedly where this came from) and actually got a reply from usbankcorp. We don't bank there.

Two weeks ago, two people broke into my husbands motel room, robbed, stabbed him, and sent him to the hospital... so it's all just really bugging me. To top that all off:

We have a situation here that is causing me to wonder if someone I may know is involved. That's why I wanted to know the origination. I have that, now I want to know where the original email came from, since it bounced around.(remailer?) AND two of our friends have had little issues where someone took their credit card numbers and tried to charge things. It's all just too weird to be happening all at the same time.

So why do I care? Donno. Seemed strange that anything like this would come in on THAT email account, since I've never used it for anything but email to friends.

Our personal business email is on a complete different server.

Chances are that if the email is not from a legitimate source then it is highly unlikely you will have the resources available to you to be able to find and prove with certainty where the e mail originated from. Even if you were able to do so you then have the difficulty of trying to determine who sent it from a particular machine. What for example if it turned out that the PC it was sent from was in a library and available for free use? Personally i think you are flogging a dead horse on this one. :dunno:

Of course I didn't give anyone my personal info. However, there are some issues that bother me.

I faxed the whole mess to my bank, (since their name was supposedly where this came from) and actually got a reply from usbankcorp. We don't bank there.

Two weeks ago, two people broke into my husbands motel room, robbed, stabbed him, and sent him to the hospital... so it's all just really bugging me. To top that all off:

We have a situation here that is causing me to wonder if someone I may know is involved. That's why I wanted to know the origination. I have that, now I want to know where the original email came from, since it bounced around.(remailer?) AND two of our friends have had little issues where someone took their credit card numbers and tried to charge things. It's all just too weird to be happening all at the same time.

So why do I care? Donno. Seemed strange that anything like this would come in on THAT email account, since I've never used it for anything but email to friends.

Our personal business email is on a complete different server.

you could ask your internet provider to do a search . if they are local take the email printout if not call them, explain about your husband being attacked,

thier IT crew should be able to find who sent it

two: file a police report for Id theft.

Chances are that if the email is not from a legitimate source then it is highly unlikely you will have the resources available to you to be able to find and prove with certainty where the e mail originated from. Even if you were able to do so you then have the difficulty of trying to determine who sent it from a particular machine. What for example if it turned out that the PC it was sent from was in a library and available for free use? Personally i think you are flogging a dead horse on this one. :dunno:

even at a libary , they can track who used the machines since most libarys systems now have a user input thier "libary card" information to use the system, for this very same reason, preventing ID theft and Spam, and minors from accessing No no sites. & Internet "cafes" each machine usually has its own ISP..

even at a libary , they can track who used the machines since most libarys systems now have a user input thier "libary card" information to use the system, for this very same reason, preventing ID theft and Spam, and minors from accessing No no sites. & Internet "cafes" each machine usually has its own ISP..

It was used as a simplification for illustrative purposes. It is entirely possible to use an unreported stolen library ID to log into a public system. :roll: Either way it is moot as any serious scammer will be hidden behind a number of proxies and in all probability using another victims account details to front all activity anyways. Unlike Jack in 24 even the FBI can not get to the back end in many cases. The time effort and resources needed to attempt to find out the originator (if it were possible and many times it is not) are not likely to be available to the average pc user.

If it came from a real bank they will confirm it. If it is phishing then report it to your ISP if they are your e mail provider and move on is my take but it is each individuals choice as to how much time and energy they want to spend on it for what in all probability is no satisfactory result.

It was used as a simplification for illustrative purposes. It is entirely possible to use an unreported stolen library ID to log into a public system. :roll: Either way it is moot as any serious scammer will be hidden behind a number of proxies and in all probability using another victims account details to front all activity anyways. Unlike Jack in 24 even the FBI can not get to the back end in many cases. The time effort and resources needed to attempt to find out the originator (if it were possible and many times it is not) are not likely to be available to the average pc user.

If it came from a real bank they will confirm it. If it is phishing then report it to your ISP if they are your e mail provider and move on is my take but it is each individuals choice as to how much time and energy they want to spend on it for what in all probability is no satisfactory result.

the OP has concerns since her husband was attacked, and may feel its related, yeah it could be a pro, then again could be someone intent on ?? from OPs view they want to know for "peace of mind"

op can send IM and i will see what i can find..