Bankruptcy or lose in court?

:?:Hello folks-I need Help-I am being sued for credit card debt,in court in the next 2 and half weeks-from a collection co. do not know how to respond- Please, cannot afford attorney--What can I do? Would bankruptcy be my best option?

You need to consider a lot of things before deciding to file bankruptcy. Perhaps you should make an appointment with an attorney and discuss your options.

No matter what you decide to do, just know that it isn't the end of the world.

but were you just sued?

This means you need to answer. Start with a general denial with affirmative defenses. This will prevent default judgment and buy you time.

Then you can reasonably talk with a BK lawyer as to what to do.

I'm against BK if its going to cost you a significant amount of assets and if the debt "problem" being solved is only unsecured debt.

Secured debt default merits BK protection almost all the time.

This is why good advice from a BK attorney is essential.

but were you just sued?

This means you need to answer. Start with a general denial with affirmative defenses. This will prevent default judgment and buy you time.

Then you can reasonably talk with a BK lawyer as to what to do.

I'm against BK if its going to cost you a significant amount of assets and if the debt "problem" being solved is only unsecured debt.

Secured debt default merits BK protection almost all the time.

This is why good advice from a BK attorney is essential.

Ok- I am from Missouri-How do I find the right paper work for this general denial with affirmative defenses.

My state has a court case search website. I plug in the person suing me, limit the search to my county and check out the record events in every case for that plaintiff. Sometimes I search neighboring counties if they are all default judgments (and that does happen, creditor getting 100% default judgments...what a crime!)

Write down Case #'s where the Plaintiff lost, those are the files I want to look at! Write down the case # and in most states you can go to your clerk of courts and ask to review that case file. You can make copies.

The hardest thing is deciding whether the winning pleading fits circumstances of your case defense.

Most of the time you can just tailor the winning pleadings to your case.

If this sounds like work....it is! If you want to make it easy, hire a good consumer lawyer.

This is the "save big bucks" on the lawyer and the effective pro se' strategy.

Copy successful pleadings from consumer lawyers!