Jump to content

Want To Remove Paid Collection From Credit Report - Assistance Needed


Recommended Posts

Hello all. New to the forums. I have been reading this site non-stop for two days since finding it. What a great site!

Okay, to start:

Applied for a mortgage a little over 3 years ago. Everything was great except they said my credit report had a $1,000 medical bill that was in collections. That was news to me. I'm a stand up guy - I pay my bills, and I figured I owed it. I paid it so I could close on my house.

I checked my credit report a few days ago and it shows up on all 3 CRA's. It shows as paid/$0 balance, but it is still on there. I want to remove it completely from my reports.

From what I can tell from the site and forums, I need to do the following:

  • Send a letter to each CRA
  • Send a letter to the CA

I'm new to this, but I've done my best to research. I'm looking for guidance from you all on if my letters are correct.

I was thinking of sending this same letter to both the CRA's and CA via certified mail:

To Whom it May Concern:

Joe Schmoe


Address: 1 E. Any Street, Anytown, USA

(Current address for last 3 years)

DOB: 1/1/00

I've just reviewed my credit report and have noticed there is an inaccurate item on my report:


Account no xxxxxxxxxx

This was to be deleted upon payment per agreement

Please remove this collection from my report immediately.

I have enclosed a copy of my driver's licence as proof of identity.


Joe S.

Also, my credit report doesn't show the full account number. Don't know how that affects my requests as I won't be able to put down the full number in my letters.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my experience, it's best to deal with the information furnisher (CA, in your case) and the CRAs one-at-a-time. Send that letter to the CRA, not the CA. If it's a small time medical bill CA, odds are pretty good that you'll get your deletion and that'll be the end of it.

If it isn't deleted, you can continue to work over the CRA's using a MOV letter and other FCRA tactics. Alternatively (and my recommendation), you can contact the CA directly and see if have easy results there before you suit up for battle. It's going to be kind of hard to say "not mine" to the CA though if you've already confirmed that it is yours by paying it. You may want to first try a GW letter/email to them. For that to have any chance of working though, you'll have to send the letter/email directly to a VIP at the CA, so you may have to google around for a bit.

A GW letter to the CA is worth trying (and I've personally had it work), but the odds aren't all that good. If you don't have any luck there, I would scratch your brain and thoroughly study the FDCPA. Try to find a violation, no matter how small. If you can find one, then send them a well-written ITS letter. They may delete at that point, or offer to delete contingent on you waiving the right to sue. If the ITS doesn't work and you have a real, honest violation, then sue them in small claims court. I promise you that you'll get your deletion at that point.

If you study the FDCPA and can't find a violation, or if the violation occurred too long ago, then do some research and find out if they require a state license to practice collections. Check the state laws for your state and for the state that they're located in. If you find that they're not following those laws, then send a letter to the attorney general of state who's laws they're violating.

All else fails, report them to the BBB. I have little regard for the BBB and consider them pretty useless, but for some strange reason, they seem to have some sway over CA's. Several people here have gotten deletions after getting the BBB involved.

Good Luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.