Can CA be Fraudulent?

Sickofdebt

The reason I ask is we've been hounded by a supposed CA that wants to settle the debt at 50%. After getting on this great forum, I told my husband to request the offer by mail. That was on Thursday and it's now Wednesday and still nothing. This is the same company that insisted they needed their money by the following day at noon or the offer was no good, which I know is just bull. This is the only CA that does not tell us their company name when calling. Maybe that's just his style.

All CAs are crooks. Some lie a little...most lie a lot. Their sole purpose is to separate you from your money.

FIrst, do not make deals over the telephone.

Second, next time he calls tell him to to send validation of the debt by mail and then hang up. There is no point in talking with these people on the phone. THey lie and intimidate just for practice.

I DID request something by mail.
You said "offer", I said "validation". You want something in writing from them specifiying who the original credior is, the account number, and the amount they're trying to collect....BEFORE...you even think about talking about money.

Its entirely possible this guy is a scam. "Hey...I know you have a B of A account...its past due...send me the money". It happens all the time. That's what the validation process in the FDCPA is intended to prevent.

However, me, personally, I would never deal with a CA. I'd call the original creditor and tell them if they want their money, they'll talk to me directly, or take me to court and we'll let the judge decide. You cannot trust a CA to get it right.

If you know you owe money, and you have money to work with, call the OC's now and see what you can work out. Its just flat out never a good idea to deal with a CA in the middle...you cannot trust them. Use the DVV process to keep the CAs occupied while you talk to the OC.

Most CC's have hardship programs which might help you. If they don't, or if you can't handle the payments and you do settle for less than the full amount, get it in writing.

If you don't have money to work with, then think about BK.

I would never deal with a CA. I'd call the original creditor and tell them if they want their money

I keep reading this....and am finding that the OC never wants to work with me...I have 3 cards with Capital One...they want nothing to do with me....I had a settlement offer with one CA for 50%....over 3 payments...I chickened out and sent nothing b/c of all the things i hear on this forum...

So are you saying I should just wait until I get sued?!?!:confused:

If the CA is a legitimate collector on behalf of the OC why should they not be paid? The more I read the more confused I get.....

I'm sorry, but, there just aren't any easy answers....and crap1 is one of the harder OC's to deal with.

The problem is...unless you're very, very careful to get everything in writing, when you pay a CA you have no gurantee that the money will even reach the OC or be applied to your account, or that the account will be considered "settled". There are CAs that rely on peoplw's "knee-jerk" reaction to just cough up money when they're told "I'm collecting".

To deal with crap1 directly, the first thing you have to do is get buy the automated phone system and the phone jockeys who work off a script. That's not easy, but if you're persistent you can get through to a person who can and will make a decesion. Of course, for this to mean anything, you've got to have money to work with.

If you can't get through to the OC on the phone...then write them a letter, CMRRR, offering to settle the account directly with them for whatever you can afford.

My point is...unless you have the money to pay these debts in full...right now...you stand a good chance of getting sued one way or the other. If you settle with the CA, and the OC claims they didn't agree to the terms, you get sued for the balance. If you tell the OC in writing that you won't work with the CA...and you get sued...you've got something to show the judge that says you tried to work it out, and they were not cooperating.

I did speak to a woman who actually works in the collections department at capital one...she was extremely helpful and even had hope that one of the cards can be dealt with threw them but it turns out it had just been reassigned....but she did state that the CA's were authorized to settle on their behalf...I tried to get her reassurance that the amount that the one settled for was acceptable but she wouldnt go there....and she did not that she did not have anything from the CA about that specific case...which is when I decided to not send in payment....

I did try the CMMMR route....I think I used an address off of here, but never got a response...maybe I will give it one more try.....thanks willingtocope!!!

THe other collections I have I am going to hold out on...it is just CAP1 I want to rectify b/c I know they will sue....

Wasn't there another thread about this, Suze, or am I dreaming?

You shouldn't send anything to Crap One CMRRR to an address you find "on here."

You MUST send it to their CEO. It's listed on Crap One's web site.

As far as settling with a CA "acting on Crap One's behalf," well I DID that.

It is now four years later, and, depite various disputes with all three CRAs,

they continue to report wrong on ALL my reports.

So, good luck. YMMV. Crap One is impossible to deal with, but if I WERE starting with them a CMRRR lettre to their CEO might get things started.

Or they may sue you anyways....