Medical collection - Pay OC, or send PFD to CA?

Laine540

I have a medical collection listed on my Trans Union report for $100. Date of service: May 2006. I was making payments to the OC for this and several other bills when this appeared on my TU about 6 months ago, listed by a collection agency. I still owe $65 of it which I don't mind paying.

Many people on this board advise sending payments only to the OC for some reason. Before I started reading on this board again, I called the CA and told them that I had been paying the OC. I told them that I wouldn't mind sending the remaining balance of $65 to them, but I wanted the listing deleted. I was speaking with a very nice lady who said that they might be able to delete it. She said that would email the OC for updated balance info because they did not show any record of payments received.

My question - should I continue to pay the OC as I was doing before, or should I do a pay-for-delete with the CA since the lady on the phone seemed possibly agreeable to such an arrangement?

I have a medical collection listed on my Trans Union report for $100. Date of service: May 2006. I was making payments to the OC for this and several other bills when this appeared on my TU about 6 months ago, listed by a collection agency. I still owe $65 of it which I don't mind paying.

Many people on this board advise sending payments only to the OC for some reason. Before I started reading on this board again, I called the CA and told them that I had been paying the OC. I told them that I wouldn't mind sending the remaining balance of $65 to them, but I wanted the listing deleted. I was speaking with a very nice lady who said that they might be able to delete it. She said that would email the OC for updated balance info because they did not show any record of payments received.

My question - should I continue to pay the OC as I was doing before, or should I do a pay-for-delete with the CA since the lady on the phone seemed possibly agreeable to such an arrangement?

personaly I would just payoff the oc, its a small amount dont trust a CA to delete anything!

then dispute with the CRA.

cbairey, Thanks for weighing in on this debate I'm having with myself!

In general I would prefer to make payments to the original creditor than to a collection agency as you say. The reason why I'm reluctant now is because when I was doing some credit repair about 6 years ago, I paid a collection reported on my credit report by IC Systems. and then I disputed that paid collection countless times and IC Systems verified that paid collection every single time, (for all 5 years after that, the b**tards! lol) It was only about $200 but I was stuck with that until it expired. That's why I'm interested in trying to get a written agreement in advance first to see if they'll agree to delete if I pay them (the CA). But I don't know how easy it is to get them to honor their agreement even if you have it in writing that they agree to delete.

cbairey, Thanks for weighing in on this debate I'm having with myself!

In general I would prefer to make payments to the original creditor than to a collection agency as you say. The reason why I'm reluctant now is because when I was doing some credit repair about 6 years ago, I paid a collection reported on my credit report by IC Systems. and then I disputed that paid collection countless times and IC Systems verified that paid collection every single time, (for all 5 years after that, the b**tards! lol) It was only about $200 but I was stuck with that until it expired. That's why I'm interested in trying to get a written agreement in advance first to see if they'll agree to delete if I pay them (the CA). But I don't know how easy it is to get them to honor their agreement even if you have it in writing that they agree to delete.

after you pay , there is another HIPPA letter you can send to the OC, whychat has whole sections on just that matter

you could say, come on its only 65$ why ruin my credit for 7.5 years